Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
It's not much different up here. Maybe a few more smaller cars, but not noticeable. Gas prices here are about 25% higher than just across the line in Blaine, WA (where I often fill up). People keep saying that things will change once gas reaches $X.XX/L, but here in Canada it IS higher and things have yet to change.
Ha- saw an article recently that mentioned the "tipping point" where gas prices would cause people to make changes... is now $5.30. What utter nonsense- the writers of this garbage need to point out that if such studies and figures are to have any utility whatsoever, it must be pointed out that the figures have a very, very limited shelf life. Back in the day, going from 30 cents/g to 45 cents would have caused people to change... a few years later going from $1 to $1.50 would cause people to change... and so on. Seems evident that today, motorists are OK with $3.80 gas- Oh, ask them and they'll biatch, but they keep on truckin' just like always.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That's funny, the statistics say he is more likely to die in his F250 than in a Toyota Corolla.
Yes, about 3 times more likely (per Wenzel & Ross), and about 6 times more likely to kill someone else.

Further, last time I checked, I was an American, and in the half century since the VW Bug was first imported, foreign automakers (who make mostly small cars) have captured half the domestic market.

I think the trouble is that the US automakers really don't want to build small cars. Maybe this is even at a emotional level, so when they do build a small car, they subconsciously design it so as not to have any inherent appeal other than "it's small and cheap".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	risk.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	10589  
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (03-30-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
MASS = crumple-zone ( + ).

...but, also:

MASS = inertia ( - ).
Mass ≠ crumple zone.

Space = crumple zone.

Crumple zone = undriveable wreck after accident = perceived danger.

Mass = unreasoned response to irrational fear of small cars. Well, that and a smoother ride.

Since mass doesn't absorb energy, I can't support considering it a safety "feature."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

truck - '06 Chevrolet Silverado WT
90 day: 22.65 mpg (US)
I want a heavy 'gas hog' as people call them. Well not a gas hog but something that can tow and work. Preferably something that can get decent mileage. How do you think 1/3 of the people with trucks can afford their gas... because those trucks are what enables them to make the money to pay for the gas.

If I had a hatchback civic, no way I could make nearly the same money as I do now, not until a college degree is had. I'd be making half at best, working as a waiter/bartender somewhere. Can't do contract work or heavy manual labor with little cars... can't tow a 5,000+ lb trailer 500 miles and back for months in a row, can't fit two refrigerators or kitchen cabinets in a metro or a full ton of wood/cement for building projects etc. Some people don't have the extra cash to pay insurance on 4 separate vehicles, or an awesome life/health insurance plan for a motorcycle, so they stick with the one that's most practical (and reliable) and pay the extra 40$/week at the pump. 40$ is 1-3 hours of manual labor, it makes up for itself very quickly.

This is probably a touchy subject on the eco forum, but some people like to spend an extra 100$ a week in gas at the 1/8th mile or autocross every now & then to have fun. But other people will drop well over 100$ eating pasta and drinking wine for an hour, to each their own.

Last edited by mja1; 03-29-2012 at 03:45 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja1 View Post
This is probably a touchy subject on the eco forum, but some people like to spend an extra 100$ a week in gas at the 1/8th mile or autocross every now & then to have fun. But other people will drop well over 100$ eating pasta and drinking wine for an hour, to each their own.
That's okay with me. Let's look at the big picture instead. We have a traffic system in dire need of synchronization, big rigs that could benefit tremendously from minor aero tweaks, and people still commuting to work 5 days/wk for desk jobs that could be done at home.

You going to the track on the weekend? Negligible. Your entertainment is your own expense, and it has value to you. Let's just focus on what I like to call 'pure waste.' That it, fuel consumed with zero benefit (or even drawbacks).
Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
Let's just focus on what I like to call 'pure waste.' That it, fuel consumed with zero benefit (or even drawbacks).
This is so true, was driving a few weeks ago in the early morning, a new mustang must've been around 150mph flat out in the fast lane the whole way till it went out of sight down the road, what's the point of cruising at 150mph, makes no sense.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja1 View Post
I want a heavy 'gas hog' as people call them. Well not a gas hog but something that can tow and work. Preferably something that can get decent mileage. How do you think 1/3 of the people with trucks can afford their gas... because those trucks are what enables them to make the money to pay for the gas.

If I had a hatchback civic, no way I could make nearly the same money as I do now, not until a college degree is had. I'd be making half at best, working as a waiter/bartender somewhere. Can't do contract work or heavy manual labor with little cars... can't tow a 5,000+ lb trailer 500 miles and back for months in a row, can't fit two refrigerators or kitchen cabinets in a metro or a full ton of wood/cement for building projects etc. Some people don't have the extra cash to pay insurance on 4 separate vehicles, or an awesome life/health insurance plan for a motorcycle, so they stick with the one that's most practical (and reliable) and pay the extra 40$/week at the pump. 40$ is 1-3 hours of manual labor, it makes up for itself very quickly.

It doesn't take all that much observation of traffic, vehicles, and how they're being used to realize that 95% of pickups aren't engaged in any work other than that of daily driver for the solo occupant. We didn't all just fall off the turnip "truck" (PUN!).

Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
It doesn't take all that much observation of traffic, vehicles, and how they're being used to realize that 95% of pickups aren't engaged in any work other than that of daily driver for the solo occupant. We didn't all just fall off the turnip "truck" (PUN!).
...so, are you advocating the Gobberment mandate that people can only "own" cars and can only "rent" pickups when they have a "work-required" note from their boss, or wife if home related (ha,ha)?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I do agree, the very large majority of pickups at any given time are used for commuting, I'm guilty. Of those there is a good sized percentage that allows blue collar folk to make a better living, many more than you may think actually. At least that's how it is around here.

It makes me think back to a Craigslist ad I read once. A guy was trading nearly everything he owned for a reliable old beater truck, just so he could get back to construction. Many people for whatever reason can't work a job in public relations, or they prefer the better pay (or more hours, whichever) of manual labor. There are guys that do show up to work in cars, but usually subcontractors or have access to company trucks etc. Usually not the freelance contractor/entrepreneur/self employed type.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...so, are you advocating the Gobberment mandate that people can only "own" cars and can only "rent" pickups when they have a "work-required" note from their boss, or wife if home related (ha,ha)?
I'm advocating that the zombies wake up from their stupor and exercise a bit of common sense. Yeah, I know... utter futility.

Reply  Post New Thread