Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aeroge - '01 Mazda Protege MP3
90 day: 28.62 mpg (US)
Android Kiwi Bluetooth OBD II Experience?

Fellow Hypermillers,
I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S android phone and was wondering if anyone has purchased/used the apps from PLX devices to measure fuel economy and more importantly what their experience has been (accuracy/reliability). Also, what kind of trip functions does it have? Looks like it will cost about $105 for the app and module. Thanks for your reply.

Hypermile on!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aeroge - '01 Mazda Protege MP3
90 day: 28.62 mpg (US)
Thanks! I had never even heard of the ultra gauge. I'll definitely be considering it.

Cheers
Old 12-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have that same phone. Never used anything from PLX devices but have seen other people working on apps that do the same thing. What do you get for $105? I have seen obd2 bluetooth adapters for $50 that work. Don't now about the ones on ebay for less then $30.

I considered what ZOMGVTEK said but I never leave home with out my phone so having it to use in the car is not a problem. The last time I left home without my cell my car broke down.

There are some nice features you get with android phones you don't get with the ScanGauge II, or UltraGauge such as GPS and easy updating of software right on the phone. The phone tells you when ever there is an update for any app installed. Can the ScanGauge II, or UltraGauge log all data recorded and transfer it to a computer or directly to the internet? Not that its needed but the Samsung Galaxy S can display 16 million colors and has enough memory and processing power to make it look like a super computer compared to the ScanGauge II, or UltraGauge. The large screen size is also a plus and the Samsung Galaxy S is not the biggest screen size for an android phone.

Do you loose all data from the ScanGauge II, or UltraGauge if your battery dies? Had a problems recently do to a weak battery, trip odometer kept resetting itself very annoying.

The only real limitation of android is the programs written for it.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Teg - '01 Acura Integra GSR
90 day: 27.8 mpg (US)

Si - '22 Honda Civic Si
Send a message via AIM to surfinrat
Did you end up getting the Kiwi or the ScanGauge? I'm really thinking about getting that Kiwi Bluetooth device. It's a really great price for what it does.

I do agree with ZOMGVTEK though, it will be a pain to make sure I have the app loaded and connected on my phone every time I sit down in the car.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just put the app on your home screen that way when you turn on the phone it will be right there. Much easier and faster.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Brooks Fit (HRA) - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 38.98 mpg (US)

Geoizm - '96 GM GEO PRIZM
Last 3: 48.93 mpg (US)

2G Insight (2014) - '14 Honda Insight
I don't have an android, but I am in the same position as you.
I just got the kiwi wifi for my I-phone, but am unsure of which app to monitor fuel economy. I downloaded the free FuzzyCar app, but could not get a read out for MPG. Then I downloaded the Rev2 light version, and after hooking up the Kiwi ODBII I got a number of metrics which were available with my car, but the more important one, fuel consumption metric, is unsupported?
If anyone knows how to get the MPG read out to work I would appreciate.
Also any thoughts on DashCommand or Rev2 to go along with Kiwi.
Thanks.

Reply  Post New Thread