Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFuel View Post
capriracer you are wrong if you don't think nitrogen makes a difference in tire pressure & the effect it can have on a race car.

With the sensitive setups on today's race cars a .5lb is huge on the handling characteristics.

Perhaps you misunderstood my comment. The issue was if nitrogen resulted in a DIFFERENTpressure buildup than ordinary air - or more precisely, a significantly different pressure build up.

I agree that 1/2 psi will make a difference in handling that a highly skilled driver will not only be able to detect, but also exploit.

However, data that I have seen says that the differences in pressure buildup are so small that they are almost undetectable. I'll have to do a little digging, but Walter Waddell of ExxonMobil did a presentation to the California Air Resouces Board that had a temperature vs pressure graph of air filled vs nitrogen filled tires. The lines lay almost 100% on top of one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFuel View Post

The point of this thread is how can you get the tires to their max without a failure, nitrogen will help.
And that is where we disagree. I don't think there is any data that supports the contention that nitrogen has any significant effect on tire durability, rolling resistance, pressure buildup, etc.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread