Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

any do draft pulse n glide?

I p&g at moderate speed on freeway perhaps 68 down to 61 or therebouts.
A truck zoomed past the other day and sliced into my lane doubling my disengagement for easy 11 seconds.
Ive since found latching my p&g to semi or bigger pickup or hauled trailers drafting provides much better returns.
The smaller vehicles are much harder to do this with and require much higher frequency of gear engagements but can also be done well enough.
My semi slip stream zone is variable from a close of 2 car lengths to as far as 13 before re engaging.
I still get some draft benefit that far out and its not so busy in and outa gears. What I really like is to time the gentle hills and key off on the really long glides.

Just wanted to share this as everyone coming here new is looking for that amazing return on mileage thier first try this might help them see solid mpg gains.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Yep I do it all the time on the Interstate, but I don't turn off the engine with the powershift 6 speed on my Fiesta. Works very well on the truck also. I call it pulse-drafting. In the bumper to bumper traffic around here its inevitable.

regards Mech
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I diddnt believe this was an original idea just wanted to put it out here for newer and prospective new eco modders. My Sephia had a combined mpg of 19.5 to 21 epa and real world prospectivly now it hovers @ 33-35.5 avg.
While this is no miracle machine for a pos to near double its mileage is something. Im always promoting the site because this is important to our world and new members get addicted to thier results quickly if they get first solid returns from attempts.

The Following User Says Thank You to justme1969 For This Useful Post:
user removed (07-03-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread