Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #41 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
1998 honda civic cx hatch back

Hmm perhaps? In yer back yard and the best deal anywhere for a CX, AT though.

2004 Honda Civic EX Front End Damage

Sort of a fixerupper but dang, a 2004 EX with 75K miles, this is a nice car, capable of 38 MPG driven carefully, handles great, and is Safe. I got the sedan version of this and just love it, it is in the sweet spot compromise wise between comfort, reliability, safety, and drivability. I paid 9K for my car with 70K miles 3 years ago, I figure it's still worth 6-7K all day. I drive 25,000 miles a year for my job.

When it comes down to it, you need to ask yourself what are you willing to sacrifice to save an extra $500-600 per year. The 04 Civic is in a whole other class from the CX or Metro. I couldn't see myself putting 25-30,000 miles a year on a CX or Metro knowing for $500 more I could have an 04EX. Besides, you put 75K on the Honda, you could still sell it for 4K if it's fixed up OK. With a CX or Metro, yer baked, lucky to get 1K.

Hope this helps.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Land Shark - '11 Toyota Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I've changed my mind. What you need is a Cessna.
Don't small airplanes get horrible FE? Something like 15 mpg (land) IRC.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
When said get a cx you need a 92-95 cx the 96+ cx is nothing but badges. I can keep my vx in lean burn in 2nd gear on it's really about throttle angle and rpm it seems but yeah the 92-95 cx is a great mpg car as well and often overlooked. Actually any 92-00 civic is a great mpg capable car. The real trick is the 92/95 cx/vx came with a special trans. The hx didn't get that trans that's another reason it's numbers are also a bit lower. My vote personal jetPack.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Possibly physical safety issues, theyre really light, I wouldn't want to be in a crash in one. Mind you I may end up driving one myself regardless, just you asked why not. There are substantially safer cars without much mileage penalty/that get pretty close. If old cars aren't a problem and you arent as concerned there's a number of vehicles not far off Super Cheap High MPG Cars: 1978-1981 | MPGomatic

Possibly maintenance or reliability concerns... I don't know about the raw statistics, but the impression I got from metro driving friends was they all started to fall apart pretty fast after 80k miles. The lower A-arms rust to crap in any non-southern climate, even potentially there if parked outside If not repaired you can find yourself heading into a wall at 70mph as it ignores your steering wheel - be sure to check these. The hondas definately have a better reputation for reliability - you often spend more for that reason. Theyre like appliances - they just run and run.

Fuel efficiency savings can be eaten up by other costs - there's more to life than ultimate efficiency. Work out your own acceptable compromises and priorities. For myself my "best solution" would have been to get a CNG car due to the cheapness of it's fuel, despite that it has lower ultimate MPG... except that the home fueling station costs $5000 by itself and there's no commercial fill stations at a remotely decent price. If that ever changes, that alone, some place to fill it up, i'll be driving a CNG car very quickly. Probably a Cavalier. My backup plan is an SVO fueled IDI VW Jetta - which will be determined by the outcome of my own growing of oilseeds. The "free" fuel matters more than the ultimate MPG. If you have to run normal gasoline though then yes the metros seem to be about as good as it gets. Note that some people are charging much more - thousands more, more than you might save on gas even - to get decent quality ones. Finance and purchase costs are part of it too.

My own favorites are the Saturn SL's with 29city/40 highway. That's not the highest mileage but they are cheap to buy, cheap to repair if anything goes wrong, more reliable than practically any other domestic I know of, some better safety figures than a number of other compacts at that time, and the plastic sides mean less rust and parking lot dings. But only get a stick shift. I even think theyre more driveable as far as feeling in tune with the car than other cars i've tried of the late 90's - nice big gauges, handle well for what it is (i've driven plenty that didn't including hondas and toyotas of that era), etc. Not as good of mileage as the best honda but your not spending as much as a honda either.

What is your current mileage? $20/day sounds like more than 5 gallons a day but outbacks i'm looking at indicate 29mpg highway... it's possible you will not get the stated highway mileage over hilly territory. I'm also told that old Xfi's don't tend to get the "55mpg" for whatever reason - that i should expect more like 45mpg if i get one used. I haven't heard of used models of many other vehicles dropping as much just from age necessarily.

The jump from say 30 to 40mpg is worth 33% less cost than the next jump from 40 to 50mpg 25% less cost, and 50 to 60mpg 20% less fuel cost. If your really hardcore about best mileage there's really no alternative but aeromodding - for me I didn't want the car to look funny but i'm finally accepting if I want the cheap fuel I need to get over my hangups because it's more "am I willing to spend X more per month to NOT have the funny looking tail on it?" and put that way not really. See what some are doing in the quest for FE - some are taking safety compromises that I will not go for for instance.

Last edited by stillsearching; 05-13-2013 at 05:45 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrForce View Post
Is there ANY REASON NOT TO buy a Metro XFI? Given my budget, of course. Otherwise I'd have a Karma or something.
If I had a different budget, my ecomodder car would either be a Ferrari FF (which may be in a few years) or an Enzo (I would rather have an FF, but if i had endless money, why not?).

I thought that was funny, and would rather subscribe this way than hitting the button.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #46 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Possibly physical safety issues, theyre really light, I wouldn't want to be in a crash in one.
You are the same guy that would ride a little motorcycle down the freeway, and you think a little car is unsafe. I tell you what, imagine any freeway encounter you want, ANY car is safer than a bike.

What would you want to be in a crash with? I know a guy that crashed driving a semi with a belly dump trailer; he is a messed up vegetable for life now.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Good ones (rust free) tend to be overpriced in my opinion. My vote is for the fuel injected Ford Festiva 1.3L 5speed. Driven conservatively without mods it can get 45-50mpg and a nice one can be had for less than half of a nice xfi (1500 vs 3000). My 93 has 34x,xxx miles on the original engine and shows no signs of giving up anytime soon. They also are an easy Aspire break swap/rear sway bar away from being decent at cornering. Just my .02. Good luck in your search.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
askingforit, geo, insight, metro, xfi