EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Anyone else mod other than for econmoy. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/anyone-else-mod-other-than-econmoy-17007.html)

REV-X 04-24-2011 05:03 PM

Anyone else mod other than for econmoy.

By far, the last thing on my mind when it comes to modding is how it will affect my fuel mileage. My Laser has 1050cc injectors high flow fuel pump I get lucky if my 2.0L breaks 20 mpg.

So does anyone else mod for power here?

gone-ot 04-24-2011 07:54 PM

Eco = 1/hp

REV-X 04-24-2011 07:58 PM

Say what now?

t vago 04-24-2011 09:57 PM

I mod for both power and economy. Unlike some here, I think that properly done mods for power will also increase economy aka efficiency.

Mustang Dave 04-24-2011 10:40 PM

I bought a Hypertech power programmer for my Mustang about the same time I found ecomodder.com. It made a noticeable difference in performance, but not in fuel economy. Tips from ecomodder.com made a noticeable difference in FE.
I've never been able to squeeze 20 MPG out of my 4.0L Mustang. I must not be trying hard enough.... :D

Peter7307 04-25-2011 01:55 AM

t vago:
Yep totally agree. The temptation is of course once having gone to the trouble to mod the ride to get the extra power is the opportunity to use it!

REV-X:
The shorthand reply from Old Tele Man says: Economy is the inverse of power.
If you chase one then the other is not usually achievable.

Here the focus is mainly about economy and power is not thought of as being as important even though there are a few who can build engines providing that is there is a need.

From a personal point I find there is as much of a challenge in going the economy route as there is in the power route.
Maybe the reason is I have been down the power build route already back in the day with carbs , distributors and all that.

There is another similar board which does have a dedicated power mods section:
GasSavers.org - Fuel Efficiency, Save Gas and Gas Mileage Forum
and some of the posters here also show up there.

Peter.

capnbass91 04-25-2011 02:22 AM

If you solely decrease the drag of the car, a few mods like adding rear wheel skirts or covering the underside of the car, I don't see how that would take away from power. Wouldn't that increase economy and power even if just a little? If the Cd is lowered than top speed is increased, right?

groar 04-25-2011 02:32 AM

I'm modding for ecology ;)
Economy is the ice on the cake :) but it's welcome and this argument is the more understandable by other people.
Having a car that is reacting much faster and that is accelerating faster than some cars tuned for performance is a little pleasure that I put in the face of some young people that are laughing at my car :o

Among all my mods, the rear wheel skirts are those that make more feeling change at the accelerator side.

Have fun,

Denis.

user removed 04-25-2011 07:54 AM

Modding for power can improve economy, but in most cases it means getting more air and fuel through the engine for more horsepower.
Alfa Romeo got 390 horsepower out of 90 cubic inches in 1950, or close to 4.5 HP per cubic inch.
Got 2 MPG.
Why go there when they were at that point the year I was born.
Heck I wish my car had half the engine it does now.

regards
Mech

tjts1 04-25-2011 08:23 AM

I wish my car had twice the engine it has now. Between Megasquirt and ripping 100lb out of the car, I try to find efficiency where ever I can be it for power or FE.