Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
That's a heck of a lot of money for an open cockpit vehicle with a small engine. A motorcycle carries as many passengers and provides as much protection from the elements.

For just a little more, you can get a brand new Nissan Versa, or a Chevy Aveo or Hyundai Accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantthought View Post
You must be talking about the eco-exo, the kandi viper uses 165/70R13 tires all around.
Ah yes. I clicked on the first link but missed the second.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Why do they use motorcycle tires when the profile isn't utilized? Motorcycle tires are expensive, and if the profile isn't used, will wear out quickly.
I don't know about that, on the street, what percentage of time is spent in corners? And most of that time they're low speed corners. My bike tyres seem to always end up with a bit of a square profile from being used mostly in a straight line.

I agree 'car' profile tyre would probably be better, but don't see bike profiles being a problem. They're probably more aerodynamic too.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldtamiyaphile For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf on the Wind - '13 Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That's a heck of a lot of money for an open cockpit vehicle with a small engine. A motorcycle carries as many passengers and provides as much protection from the elements.

For just a little more, you can get a brand new Nissan Versa, or a Chevy Aveo or Hyundai Accent.
By a little more you mean over twice as much, yes? Because none of those cars start at under 12k. That's without the automatic transmission too. While I know many on this board deplore autos, I have almost no interest in a vehicle that doesn't have an automatic transmission.

As for protection from the elements, this thing would be very easy to put a shell on for wind/waterproofing. I suppose dealing with the cold might be an issue for some, but I'm in Florida so that's a non-issue here.

Honestly though, the more I look into this, the more I'm thinking about drawing up plans to build my own off some parts where I can ensure better quality.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
I have almost no interest in a vehicle that doesn't have an automatic transmission.
What is the purpose of a motorcycle with an automatic, albeit a belt driven CVT?

And if you deplore manuals I am certain you will deplore a belt drive CVT even more in anything you use over the road for a long time.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 08-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
What is the purpose of a motorcycle with an automatic, albeit a belt driven CVT?

And if you deplore manuals I am certain you will deplore a belt drive CVT even more in anything you use over the road for a long time.

Cheers
Ryan
The purpose is that this is a motorcycle for regulatory reasons only. The controls are just like a standard automobile. That's my major draw. Nobody sells a car in the states that only weighs 400lbs and has a 250cc engine, this fills that role.

I'm curious to know why do you think I'd dislike the cvt? I've driven cars with cvt before and had no issues with them whatsoever. What makes this appreciably different?
Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
The purpose is that this is a motorcycle for regulatory reasons only. ???

The controls are just like a standard automobile. That's my major draw. Nobody sells a car in the states that only weighs 400lbs and has a 250cc engine, this fills that role.
If it floats your boat go ahead and get it.
$4000 is getting closer.

MC-95-250 Reverse Trike KANDI USA KD 3-wheel Trike Scooter: Extreme-Scooters -buy online store

KANDI VIPER 250cc Motor Trike Tricycle Car Automatic+Reverse KD-250MD

Cheaper there.

Anywho, 3 wheels aint really a car either, its a niche, perhaps one some like but a 3 wheeler can never go head to head with a 4 wheeler in the market.
My insight at the same cost does the same MPG, perhaps better as the MPG listed for the rig is not EPA.

That said I would own an Elio (if it were sold) and I likely would be willing to own the Kandi as well, if it was used, cheap and reliable :-)

Quote:
I'm curious to know why do you think I'd dislike the cvt? I've driven cars with cvt before and had no issues with them whatsoever. What makes this appreciably different?
I doubt you have driven a moped style CVT driven car before, moped maybe, snowmobile maybe but not a full car.

I will take the aggravation of shifting anyday over the maintenance of keeping a classic snowmobile CVT running perfectly over 200,000 miles.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Radiant- I just noticed that you have a Leaf. What is the big draw to this trike when you are already scooting around on electrons?

I'm also curious, would you purchase the Leaf again after your experience owning one? I've considered getting one as our second family vehicle.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm currently leasing the leaf. I have a pretty sweet situation at my university where they have several plug-in only spots available for hybrids/electrics which I use to charge my vehicle for free 95% of the time. Well, 'free' after the $100-ish annual parking registration. I don't intend to purchase it once the lease expires next September though, the payments would be too much. I've done lots of looking around and figure I'll probably get a prius once my lease is up.

The reason I was looking at this is that I was considering what my options were for a small and efficient runabout for just short jaunts around town as well as grocery runs. This is mostly just farther off future planning for once I graduate and start making enough money to afford such a thing. I got into looking at trikes, which I've always had an affinity for, and came across the Sunl 150cc Spider reverse trike. While doing research on that I came across this, and thought it seemed like a much nicer unit. Ultimately I wanted to see if anyone knew about this, or anything similar. Sadly it seems that this market segment for small two seat microcars is just not something which really exists right now. Most of the things like this are performance vehicles and/or luxury toys with ridiculous pricetags.

With regards to the Leaf. The biggest issue I have with it is the range. It's fine for 90% of my driving needs (daily commuter), it's that last 10% where I find myself very frustrated. My mother lives about an hour away by interstate, and while I can handily make it up there to see her, I've got to charge for several hours before I'm able to come back home. I'm completely unable to visit my family and friends who live in a city about 120 miles away, as I'm not willing to stop and spend an hour charging along the way. Realistically it's great as a city car and especially as a second vehicle. Unfortunately, it's quite an expensive vehicle to fill those roles, and has some real limitations. You constantly need to know how far you're going and where you can charge in that area.

The Following User Says Thank You to radiantthought For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-10-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread