Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Just saw another house in that neighborhood and swung by the plot again just to look at it.

Sewer, water, gas, electricity, cable. I'm curious if sewer can be connected via gravity only, or if it would need to be pumped. I think my next step is to contact the seller and see what info they can offer since it seems there was a plan associated with the plots.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Redpoint didn't say anything about a covered patio:
I wasn't commenting on what redpoint5 may or may not have said, but on the illustration provided.

Quote:
there are numerous calculators out there. Here is one, and the calculations for a 35 ft dome using struts that can be mmade from standard 8 ft wall studs.:
The calculator you showed returns edge length and dihedral angle. Consider Rick Bono's Dome 4.8

Quote:
DOME currently supports five file formats:
1.) DXF - DXF face data which can be input into most computer aided design packages.
Each polyhedron face is saved on a seperate level if spherical data generation is
requested. DXF data for Buckyballs are saved as LINE data. The default DXF data for
all other structures is 3D POLYFACE data. This can be changed to LINE data with
the -w option. Note that not all applications support DXF line data. In these cases,
use polyface instead.
2.) DAT - An ASCII report format. Shows only symmetry triangle parameters. This format
displays chord factors, face angles and axial angles. Not available for Buckyballs.
3.) PRN - An ASCII comma delimited format. Contains vertex coordinate and chord
coordinate data. Suitable for parsing into custom routines and spreadsheets. Only data
for the symmetry triangle is saved. Not available for Buckyballs.
4.) POV - POV-ray script file. Generates spheres for vertexia, cylinders for chords
and triangles for faces. Faces are not saved when using the Buckyball option.
The POV script consists of two files. The .POV file contains the scene description
while the dome.inc file contains the dome geometry. Note that DOME references "up"
as the z-axis while POV references the y-axis. The Sky statement in the camera
definition compensates for this.
5.) WRL - VRML file for use with a VRML enabled browser such as the Cortona plugin
from ParallelGraphics. Only wire-frame output is available with Buckyball option.
WinDome supports the VRML97 Specification.
6.) OFF - Can be processed, analysed and viewed by the Antiprism tools (use
off_util to merge elements), Geomview and JavaView.
So you can get face angles and axial angles (necessary for setting the end cuts and sheathing). It returns XYZ coordinates. It shows elliptical and parabolic meshes. It outputs 3D models.You might like it. (I use 4.6 because I can't get 4.8 to Makefile.)

I mentioned Fuller's Hexapent patent for it's engineering certification.

ksa8907 — This wouldn't be pioneering. It's in a subdivision.

edit:
I like to scroll through https://www.reddit.com/r/tartarianarchitecture. Three days ago someone posted a 13-story pagoda built entirely of cast iron in 1061! Someone posted the Armour-Stiner House

Strike the pink floor and blow the upper level up to the diameter of the 360° porch. Shrink the cupola.

Use shingles or something so the neighbors don't freak out.

Last edited by freebeard; 02-13-2019 at 08:32 PM..
Old 02-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Perhaps I scared you off with the Armour-Stiner house?

In essence it's an octagon with curved roof segments. One could make it with surplus Quonset hut arches. The North-facing segments could be super-insulated, with the South-facing segments as passive solar collectors with a black or forest green standing seam metal skin.

In any case, I'm having trouble quoting Google Street View (I suspect the anti-virus protection). I suggest looking at the house on the Southeast corner of 14th and C streets in Springfield. It's bounded on two sides by streets and an alley on the third, but it could work on a lot with a side driveway. On one side stacked back to front are a two-car garage, a single-car carport and a covered walk to the front entry. There's also a deck on the non-street side.

So it has an enclosed workspace, a place to display a showboat, and a kitchen window that overlooks the approach.

Let me know if you can see it.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Reply  Post New Thread