Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Hmm, you said that none of this is true, yet the first thing I said was DESPITE REDUCTIONS IN DEMAND. Now you agree that there are reductions in demand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
The fact remains that we consume less gas at a lower price than we did 2 years ago. That amount with continue to drop. That's a fact you can't argue with and the subject of this thread.
I agree fully with your statement above and...
I never thought I disagreed with the above, I do disagree that the amount of the drop in price is normal. Also your scope should be longer than 2yrs.

And there is no conspiracy that there is more in storage now than in recent history, just because it isn't sitting right in the US doesn't mean it isn't in storage. Heck even reuters agrees with that.

Based on the drop in demand the cost in fuel prices should technically be in the mid 1's but that hasn't happened and despite continued drops in demand prices have been increasing.

Oil was always thought of as perfectly inelastic, small changes in demand cause massive price flucuations which hasn't really happened on the downward slope.

Something is holding up the mess and high fuel prices are not what our country needs at the moment.

It may bring change but in the short term, not positive ones. And those negative changes will slow the ability of our country to move in the right direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Christ (02-15-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wait, do we want low fuel prices so it's less expensive for us to do business in general or high prices so we're motivated to improve efficiency?

I can never remember which one we want
Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Based on the drop in demand the cost in fuel prices should technically be in the mid 1's but that hasn't happened and despite continued drops in demand prices have been increasing.
OPEC was able to cut production proportionally to the drop in consumption, which they weren't able to do effectively in the past. There was enough lag between the two for oil to drop into the $30/bbl range, but overall the cuts were enough to bring oil back to ~$70+/bbl.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Energy usage is entirely dependent on the economy, and oil is the major energy source in the US, and it's not going to change tomorrow. Future gasoline usage is only going to continue to go down if the switch to alternative energy sources happen faster than the economy recovers.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Reply  Post New Thread