Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2023, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Athelstan Spilhaus... Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

I used to read his comic strip, but never knew how much he had in common with Buckminster Fuller and Elon Musk.

South-African American who came that close to building a domed city. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...erimental_City

Minnesota Experimental City: the 1960s town based on a comic strip
Quote:
It had cars on rails, 100% recycling and a nuclear power station in the centre, all covered by a massive dome. So what went wrong with Athelstan Spilhaus’s vision of the future?

Sea Grant founder, Athelstan Spilhaus, penned the non-fiction comic strip Our New Age from 1958-1975. The syndicated comic excited its 5 million readers about science and technology. In fact, when Spilhaus asked President John F. Kennedy why he appointed him to orchestrate the U.S. science exhibit at the Seattle World’s Fair, JFK joked, “The only science I know, Spilly, is what I read in the Boston Globe in your comic strip.”
https://seagrant.noaa.gov/comics/
This was around the time I was doing construction work at Cerro Gordo, building an intentional small town without cars. It actually got started before it went dormant. Paulo Solari was also having limited success in AZ.

I was tipped to this by a 2 Bit da Vinci video that went up [s]seven[/a] eight hours ago.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-30-2023, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Here's a trailer for the movie. Youtube has it behind a paywall.

Reply  Post New Thread