Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rocinante - '19 GMC Canyon
Avalon V6 wheel aero

I've spent some time this week drawing diagrams of how I want to do the rear wheel spats, and I have worked out that I can integrate the removable spats (undo two thumbscrews at the top, and it will pivot out on two dowels at the bottom, then lift away for access to the rear wheel for maintenance, etc) with the boattail (will hold the rear pivot point) and the forward air treatment. My issue is, for the front edge of the rear tires do I go with a side skirt, or an airdam for the rear wheels?

This is the proposed layout for the rear wheel spats: Purple is the boattail, orange is the wheel spat that pivots and lifts out at the bottom for access to the wheel. The red blobs are the 1/2" oak dowel that will make up the pivot points (yes, they will get soaked in waterproof epoxy). The green circles are where the spat will have two recessed holes for thumbscrews to hold it firmly in place (but keeping the heads of the thumbscrews out of the airstream). The blue ahead of the wheel is where there will either be an airdam for the wheel, or the back edge of the side skirts. The green line is the projected line where a side skirt would be if I don't use an airdam.

The spats themselves will be fiberglass over balsa with 6mm carbon fiber tubes for stiffness.

Last edited by tugboat; 05-15-2011 at 08:15 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Will you be removing the mudflaps or will they be incorporated into part of the boat-tail?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rocinante - '19 GMC Canyon
I will be removing the mudflaps and using the existing tapped mounting holes to help hold the boattail/spat mount.

Last edited by tugboat; 05-15-2011 at 09:44 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
avalon, spats