Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Games

Cool Smart ED - '14 Smart Smart ForTwo ED coupe
Cool Back to Ecomodder with 2014 Smart ED

All,
I joined in 2011 when wife got 2010 GEN 3 Prius with solar panel / moon roof option.

Attended the dealer function with www clean mpg com CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling Hypermiler class taught by Wayne Gerdes.
This was at Kimbals in Westford and they had the Plug In to view before available to sell.

Near same time started watching plug-in as lease fleet car and demonstrator while customers cars were in shop.

When one was up for sale I test drove after charged fully.
In the winter it barely made 10 miles before ICE started so it was no better than without plugin.
Wife's Prius had the EV only mode but barely usable as it will start ICE when low battery or above 15 mph.

I then joined New England Electric Vehicle group to pick their brains.

In Summer 2014 I was on side rode in Somerville, Mass and saw Smart ED on charger at Herb Chambers. I had time so checked it out and it was worth another look.
I was interest in 2008 with ICE version but not inclined to invest as I was getting good enough mileage with 2002 Mazda B2300 at 30-32 MPG.
10 MPG gain wasn't worth the cost.
Electric was attractive for $139 lease but I played it hard and asked to get to $100 per month.
With 7200 annual it was accepted so with EV-MA.org rebate of initial $2500 deposit I drove it out to Groton nearly 30 miles west.

Today it has less than 3000 miles after 7 months so I am on target for worry free in next Summer weather.
I can't easily use the Mazda in snow so have been using the Smart ED. Most trips are short so I also run the cabin heater.
The dash gauge is reading 3 miles per kilowatt and I have seen 4.2 miles in warm no load situations.

Range is best at 100 miles with warnings of 0% state of charge as I pulled into my garage after steep hill in driveway !
Since then I recharge on 110 volt home outlet at 20% or when ever parked.

Now I come back here to step up the effort and track performance.
I have the SG II but it won't connect so I need a different scan tool.

Smart has a web based app that can read data from car and display pretty much what the dash display says.
I have some screen shots if any one is interested.

I want to measure volts, amps and time charging and use the Kilowatt meter to do that.

15.44 kw in 12:58 hours at $0.130 rate makes cost $2.00 for 78% charge. Estimate $2.50 for full charge and 80 mile range to make the advertised about $0.03 per mile.

2010 Prius at 50 MPG and $3.50 gal is $0.05 !

2002 Mazda B2300 at 30 MPG is approximately $0.12 !

Any one here interested in helping score these three vehicles to their own for comparison ?

The Following User Says Thank You to CoolGames For This Useful Post:
Bataleon (02-08-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Sounds nice. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to go to an EV, or to build one.