Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I recommend the Kustomarama article:

Quote:
In 2014 Dave told Sondre some details about how the skirts were made and ordered; "When Jimmy made his skirts, he rolled the metal over on three sides, and left the bottom folded in. The center brace featured a swing arm which held them against the body. They had a bracket on the bottom edge front and rear, and these did vary with different applications. The bottom, which Jimmy called the "Rainbow," was charged for by the inch. The lower it went down, the more it cost.” Dave seemed to remember that the rainbow went like 4-5-6- inches. The lower down it went, the lower the car appeared, or as Gene described it, “the rainbow on the skirts was to make the car appear much lower, but still be able to drive up and out of driveways, gas-stations, and streets. Not as nice as the sleek Californian cars, but it dropped the look of the car by hiding the rear tires.” Jimmy called the bow “Bubble” in the skirts by the amount that the buyer wanted the skirts to bow out from the body. That was also a cost consideration according to Dave; “When you went to Jimmy he would ask "How much rainbow and how much bubble?”
The added frontal area is buried in turbulence so [shrug].

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Lol, well yes, but how would you approach such a thing in this particular application ( a Volt ).
( BTW, I actually did quickly skim over the article - hence my comment about the nice cars. )
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
The wheel arch flare is similar to my Metro. I'm hoarding two Direct TV dishes. Once I cut one in half I need to figure out how to re-roll the lip. For attachment I think a socket at the bottom front and rear, then one Dzus fastener at the top center.