Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #181 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
... and really the main criteria is if medical resources are overburdened or not. Increasing cases isn't an indication of a failed plan to increase social mobility as long as medical resources are adequate.

People like to talk in pointless terms, such as which direction new cases are moving, or number of deaths. Important metrics are things like utilization of health resources, and life expectancy. If life expectancy drops significantly due to this disease, we'll know it was a significant problem. If life expectancy doesn't drop much, it may indicate we overestimated the problem (which is required initially when something is novel). We won't know what happened to life expectancy until this pandemic is history, but we will have it as a metric to evaluate our response in hindsight.
In a pandemic medical resources can be overwhelmed in a week. The rate of infections and whether they are going up or down is critically important. Especially in a place like Alabama where 12% of the adult population is uninsured and 46% of the adult population is classified as high risk.*

*"High-risk adults" defined as adults ages 60 years or older, and adults between the ages of 18 and 59 with heart disease, cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or diabetes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-05-2020), Xist (05-07-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #182 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
I'm not arguing that we're able to perfectly walk the line with medical resources and social interaction, only saying that the direction of trends in itself isn't sufficient criteria to make decisions. The fact that there's several weeks delay between implementing a change and observing the results poses serious challenges to perfecting a strategy.

2/3rds of Americans have at least one risk factor, which is being overweight. The thing that astonishes me though is that it's a risk factor for nearly any disease, yet people don't view being overweight as being as alarming as say, a pandemic that kills very few people as a percentage of the population. My point isn't to diminish the seriousness of the pandemic, but to put it into context with our other misplaced anxieties.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 05-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #183 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I got my UV disinfecting wand just now. The packaging says it consumes 3 watts of power and outputs UV-C light. No idea what I'll use it for considering health doesn't come by avoiding pathogens, but by building a healthy immune system.

https://www.amazon.ae/Sterilizer-Ste.../dp/B085HWDHCZ

Old 05-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #184 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Benefit of Covid-19...???

Hopefully, what’s going on with this pandemic (plandemic) will be a wake up call for people to do their own research for themselves instead of blindly following the official narrative. That would be the biggest benefit.

I urge everyone to watch this. (before it is removed do to violation of YouTube policies)

If you can’t watch it all in one swoop, watch it a little at a time.

Digest it.

Research it...

>

Old 05-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #185 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm not arguing that we're able to perfectly walk the line with medical resources and social interaction, only saying that the direction of trends in itself isn't sufficient criteria to make decisions. The fact that there's several weeks delay between implementing a change and observing the results poses serious challenges to perfecting a strategy.

2/3rds of Americans have at least one risk factor, which is being overweight. The thing that astonishes me though is that it's a risk factor for nearly any disease, yet people don't view being overweight as being as alarming as say, a pandemic that kills very few people as a percentage of the population. My point isn't to diminish the seriousness of the pandemic, but to put it into context with our other misplaced anxieties.
My point is that it is foolish for a state to attempt to return to normal before they have the ability to rapidly test people in all counties and do contract tracing.

One thing I think Oregon has done well is that we sent the rapid testers and test kits that we got from the Feds to rural counties that don't have ready access to labs. That way they can get results almost in real time instead of sending test samples by courier.

Speaking of reopening it looks like 15-May is the date for opening parts of Oregon on a county by county basis if they can meet 6 criteria.

Those are: declining cases, significant testing capacity, a system in place for tracing cases, isolation facilities, adequate health care resources, and adequate masks, gowns and other personal protective devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #186 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Oregon is opening the following parks tomorrow:
  • Tryon Creek in Portland
  • Willamette Mission, north of Keizer
  • Mongold boat ramp at Detroit Lake
  • State Capitol State Park in Salem
  • The Cove Palisades boat ramp at Lake Billy Chinook, near Culver
  • Prineville Reservoir boat ramp, near Prineville
  • Joseph Stewart boat ramp on Lost Creek Lake, near Shady Cove
  • Pilot Butte (no vehicles) in Bend

There is hope for my John Day Float trip.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...4-c46fd5aec805

Old 05-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #187 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

For those that want to know more.

https://youtu.be/eSgN8ONNKVs

>

Old 05-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #188 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I've been threatening myself to start running again at Silver Falls state park early in the morning when nobody is there (I had just started a couple weeks prior to shutdowns). I may do that tomorrow despite the park not being open yet.

Boat ramps and trails never should have been closed in the first place. How well established is it that boat ramps and fresh air are disease vectors?

Old 05-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #189 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,606 Times in 7,087 Posts
I dozed off through the middle (mention of CBD woke me up?), so I went through the transcript and found this:
Quote:
33:43 ...and there's a paper that
33:46 showed you're 36 percent more likely to
33:49 get coronavirus SARS cold to infection
33:53 in if you got the influenza vaccine in
33:58 2017 threw in 18...

TIL that Frank Herbert was inspired to write Dune by the sand dunes at Florence, Ore.
And the original publisher was Chilton Books.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #190 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
No bleach in the grocery stores...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
So we ordered a saltwater chlorine generator, it should be here by the end of the week. Pool chemistry just got way easier and less expensive!
It showed up, and I got to work putting the pool plumbing back together. Because the chlorine generator has to be in a particular spot, I completely redid everything downstream of the filter, and took advantage of the "redo everything" to reorient the pump/filter and get rid of the flex hose from the skimmer to the pump and ran PVC. So now I've got way fewer turns in the pipe after the pump, a much smoother diversion to the solar panel and the only bit that isn't hard plumbing is the hose from the pump to the filter, which is a really hard hose.

The return jet into the pool is stronger than it's ever been, the solar panel added 6 degrees to the pool on Sunday, and the chemistry is looking good. My chemical purchases have just gone from a pack or two of shock in the spring and a few gallons of bleach every week to... a pack or two of shock in the spring. And if we go away for a week, the pool will happily stay well chlorinated without needing a neighbor's kid to come by a couple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Closed Thread  Post New Thread