Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Icarus - '11 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 20.71 mpg (US)

Walter - '02 Chevrolet Suburban LT
NGK non-suppression plugs, and premium wires. You are not looking to remove resistance, but resistivity, which is resistance in relation to diameter. Iridium and platinum are good for longevity, as previously stated. Splitfires suck (in every vehicle I've ever tried them in at least - 6 of them). I've had good luck with AC Rapidfires - on high performance ignitions at least. I currently run NGK non-suppression Iridiums - my car doesn't take wires. I would recommend Taylor 10.4mm wires if they have a set for you, if not, get minimum 9mm wires - highest quality you can afford...

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
I'm using NGK iridium IX in my car... I bought a 2008 aveo with 34k miles on it... its stock coppers were horrendusly roasted... the iridium IX gave a notable improvement.

Note, most of the improvement was just "new plug" and not iridium

the NGK IX is rated for 60 thousand miles, and is a low voltage plug... that means its better for cold winter starts (which I need in chicago)

Once the engine is warm... if the plug burnt to hell... it doesn't make a difference
Old 10-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...don't believe that "low-resistance" wires will help your FE. While "low-resistance" wires were popular with the hot-rodders, they tend to create LOTS of "ignition-noise" STATIC which your radio will loudly announce to the listening audience.

...additionally, too little wire resistance is also detrimental to maintaining optimum inductive-discharge spark-duration time -- it effectively lets all the spark "arc" energy dump to ground almost immediately, rather than maintaining the "arc" duration for about 1,000 microseconds by "metering" the current level discharge by the coil-secondary/wire RL-time constant.

Reply  Post New Thread