Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2024, 11:07 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
I've got one from the Lexus 450h.

Reasonably priced, if you come by to pick it up. I'm not going to use it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2024, 01:04 AM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Simple solution in my mind.

Last edited by Konstantin; 01-08-2024 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Leaked
Old 01-11-2024, 11:39 PM   #83 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Serva View Post
Am hoping I am addressing the original poster's thread with my interest as I see his and mine may be the same thing.

Essentially, to be more specific, I have a 2WD pickup truck that comes in 4WD as well. Hence, there are likely millions of such vehicles on the road today that could be converted to hybrid. Or for the folks who don't use 4WD much, something to convert as well. My idea should be simple because of used parts available:

Simply, I'd like to put an electric front axle on my pickup (A Jeep Comanche to be more specific). I'd like the front axle to run low DC voltage like 12-24 volts needing just a few extra batteries. l'd re-generate and charge the batteries and go easier on my brakes. It would have additional push button circuits for long-down hills where I don't use brakes yet would like some additional drag. Then, I'd have another button, maybe on the floorboard, that would engage the electric front axle. Not a lot of horsepower, just enough if I had to really accelerate OR when I needed a little 4WD help. This isn't for rock climbing just the occasional slippery spot.

Seems to me, that such a kit, all pretty low powered, would be pretty easy to rig so many old vehicles out there it would be a big seller. The additional payoff would come from a few additional batteries, having a separate plug-in charger, would give me redundant batteries for jump starting AND over voltage regulated power essentially cutting off my alternator circuit on most shorter trips.

Am not sure if this is what the original poster has in mind as I hope to get this thread closer to his original request as it's the only one I found on this website via searching.

Your responses are appreciated, thank you, Mark
You could do that. Another simple - ish way to make a hybrid with off-the-shelf parts is by using the 4WD transfer case designed for your Comanche. Attach your electric motor to the output shaft of the transfer case where it would go forward to the front axle and you are good to go. If you want to decouple the electric motor just shift the transfer case to 2WD. If you want to drive the vehicle on electric power only you put the transmission in neutral.

Advantages over using an electric front axle:
  • Less unsprung weight
  • You don't have the drag from the extra axle shafts in the front axle that are turning all the time
  • You can decouple the electric motor when you don't need

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Mark Serva (01-12-2024)
Reply  Post New Thread