Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Bicycle Turn Signals

Has anybody tried these? I think it might be a good idea for night but I'm just thinking that the lights are so close together that it really would not help much. Plus with addtional blinkies the signals might get washed out.

If you were in a car coming up behind a cyclist do you think you would see the light and would you figure out what the yellow blinking light meant?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All I know is that a cyclist who depends on drivers to see his turn signals and give him the right of way is soon going to be guest of honor at a funeral.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
You are way better off assuming that no one behind you sees you, I have a rear blinky light that hurts to look at from Planet Bike, it's great, but I always look behind me before turning left and a signal, if someone doesn't see your arm sticking straight left in front of them on a bike with a bright blinky light then nothing is going to stop them from running in to you.
of course I tend to also use my blinky light any time there is much traffic.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I think a driver may notice something yellow blinking, but the left and right lights are too close together to discern from far away. Most important, drivers aren't used to turn signals on bicycles, so you can't count on them knowing what is blinking and why.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 03-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I used 12 w bulbs from 3rd brake light units for turn signals on my velomobile. They were roof mounted to show to front and rear with good separation, and had reflectors to concentrate the light to front and rear. They still washed out in sunlight, generating one known complalint.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have used a leg light for visibility at night and the up and down motion identifies me as a cyclist. A red four lamp sequential signal would be ideal. Amber turn signals with a red center would be better than a hand signal at night. I suggest red turn signals and two running lights 20" to 24" apart plus reflectors. Yes, I used to sell lighting equipment for trucks
Old 04-27-2010, 03:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
Amber turn signals with a red center would be better than a hand signal at night.
If my memory isn't that bad yet, then I believe I remember reading in a North Carolina driver's ed booklet something like:
Quote:
The intention to turn should be signalled either by using hand signals or flashing light signals. At night it is suggested that flashing light signals be used.
This was less than 10 years ago.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You are quite correct and many states would have similar laws or guidelines. Reading owners manuals, state motor vehicle law, and regulatory documents of any kind can be daunting. Many have not been updated in decades because it takes decades for people to get around to noticing them and almost as long to pass the legislation. New York state has been more than 10 years trying to pass electric bike legislation - other things take up their time.
I worked as a document control officer for a company making rail car components. Some contracts still specified US Air Force standards for laminated plywood written in 1964. My favorite is the warning in a Mercedes Benz owners manual: "We do not recommend driving this vehicle faster than 90 mph in the snow or rail." Must be 80 mph is safe enough.
We are at the leading edge of technology and practice. New methods are being tried to find better solutions for the problems of safety and efficiency.

Reply  Post New Thread