Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BBsRide - '06 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 31.64 mpg (US)
Bikers Gone Wild.

Local News | Critical Mass riders injure driver in Capitol Hill altercation | Seattle Times Newspaper

Critical Mass riders injure driver in Capitol Hill altercation

Seattle police were still looking today for one of a group of Critical Mass bicyclists who injured a driver during a violent altercation on Capitol Hill Friday evening.

By Seattle Times staff

Seattle police said they were still looking today for one of a group of Critical Mass bicyclists who attacked and injured a driver during a violent altercation on Capitol Hill Friday evening.

Two other bicyclists have been jailed. But some riders in the event have said the driver was the aggressor.

Just after 7 p.m. Friday, the group of at least 100 bicyclists was moving en masse down East Aloha Street when a man and his girlfriend in a Subaru station wagon tried to pull out of a parking spot, said Seattle police spokesman Mark Jamieson.

For years, Critical Mass has held monthly public bike rides through Seattle to demonstrate for bicyclists' road rights.

According to Jamieson, as the Critical Mass group moved down the street, blocking traffic, some riders got in the way of the Subaru and prevented it from leaving. Some bikers sat on the car and were banging on it, he said.

"The driver was pretty fearful that he was about to be assaulted by the bicyclists," Jamieson said.

The man tried to back up, but bumped into a biker. "This enraged the group," Jamieson said.

Several of the bikers bashed up the Subaru, shattering the windshield and rear window, Jamieson said.

The driver tried to drive away, but hit another bicyclist, Jamieson said. Still, he drove about a block, to the corner of Aloha and 15th Avenue East, before the Critical Mass riders cornered the car again and started spitting on it and banging against it.

One bicyclist punched the driver through his open window, and another used a knife to slash the Subaru's tires, Jamieson said.

The driver got out of his car, and was hit in the back of the head, opening a large gash.

Eventually police arrived and the crowd dispersed. Witnesses identified two bikers who damaged the Subaru, two men in their early 20s, and they were booked into the King County Jail for investigation of malicious mischief, Jamieson said.

Police interviewed and got the identity of the man who hit the driver, but turned him loose before a witness identified him as the attacker, Jamieson said. But police know who he is and were trying to find him today.

The driver was taken to a local hospital, but his injuries were not life-threatening, Jamieson said. His girlfriend wasn't hurt. The bicyclists didn't suffer any serious injuries, Jamieson said.

Jamieson said it was too early this weekend to say whether the incident might change the way the Seattle Police Department handles future Critical Mass rides, which are held on the last Fridays of each month.

No one from Critical Mass could be reached today to comment.

On an online forum for Seattle bicyclists, some riders who said they were in the Critical Mass ride characterized the Subaru driver as the aggressor. They said the driver was impatient about having to wait for the huge group of riders and intentionally ran into some of them, prompting the altercation.

The riders said the man's tires were slashed to keep him from fleeing the scene or running into more riders.

Seattle Times newsroom: 206-464-2204 or newstips@seattletimes.com

Bill
SippingFuel
Check out BBsGarage
Picture ur Pet

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Oh god. As much as I love cycling, critical mass rides are not the way to make people love it right now. Especially with as much positive press as cycling is getting these days you'd think they could tone down the hate a bit.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Yea I agree CM needs to find another way. CM has safety in numbers but after they make everybody mad the next day I'm the lone target for all the pent up anger and road rage the day before. The week after a CM ride is when I've have the most hostilities thrown at me. It's kind of like groundhog day every month after the ride.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
I guess this is still considered road rage.

BTW-I came here expecting pictures judging from the title.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sputnik - '93 oldsmobile silhouette
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

home sweet home - '92 ford clubwagon E-350 xlt

very excelant - '92 honda civic vx
i definetly realized a while back that i tend to be the type of biker i hate when i am driving. now i try to remember to play nice in both situations
Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Civic POS - '97 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ajax_6531 Send a message via Yahoo to ajax_6531
Crowds bring the mob mentality with them.

This could be my ignorance speaking, but it seems like the group rides are more of an issue due to the sheer size of the group. Safety in numbers is not an excuse for the distraction it causes every driver on the road. Rubber-necking is the term. Don't get me wrong, I like riding a bike every now and again, and with small children, the "share the road" think is very much in the forefront of my mind. I just think there is a point when too much of something good is a bad thing (look at all those good drugs around these days :-D). I can see this being the case here.

IYAOYAS
Old 07-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Coppers Gone Wild

Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sputnik - '93 oldsmobile silhouette
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

home sweet home - '92 ford clubwagon E-350 xlt

very excelant - '92 honda civic vx
wow i bet that guy was happy someone had a video camera, i wonder what the whole story is?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn View Post
i definetly realized a while back that i tend to be the type of biker i hate when i am driving. now i try to remember to play nice in both situations
This is how I try to think in both situations. When I'm driving, yield extra space and be extra nice, when I'm riding, be predictable and courteous.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lurking Around

96 Civic - '96 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 33.2 mpg (US)

09 Sierra - '09 GMC Sierra SLE
90 day: 19.76 mpg (US)

09 Matrix - '09 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
This is how I try to think in both situations. When I'm driving, yield extra space and be extra nice, when I'm riding, be predictable and courteous.
Agreed! I bike to work and basically, well everywhere I can and there is a Critical Mass at the last Frieday of every month here. (Edmonton) Sure enough I have noticed a difference it driver attitude towards cyclists the days following. I know here they start around the same time everyone gets off work too....and the road is blocked for around 5 -8 mintues. Sure they are getting noticed, but in a bad respective.