Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Are Biofuel hybrids a silver bullet?

Are biofuel hybrids a silver bullet? - Gaiam Life So ive been thinking man biofuel sounds!! Away great back to the community while also doing my part to keep this world in order zero emission. Every time I get somewhere some one shoots me down so ive been reading your forum to get information on how people view it . As Im going along and wondering why people would have a problem with using a biofuel I dont know why... So I start searchin and find this little article Are Biofuel hybrids a silver bullet? I keep wondering how would I be able to research both types? 4 electric motor engines with the biodiesel engine in the middle? Any suggestion would suffice?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
it is a good idea but is not a great solution. This is because it is just shifting our independence to another fuel. It is also not a "clean" fuel because you are still burning fuels. Why not invest the money, infrastructure, etc. into solar power so we could drive ev's which are clean. Think about it solar and wind are reliable and clean.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Biofuels are using "short-cycled" carbon, which is far better than using really, really, old carbon. Plants pull carbon dioxide out of the air, and then they get released back into the air when we use them -- so it is not adding anything to the system.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 07-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenitup View Post
Why not invest the money, infrastructure, etc. into solar power so we could drive ev's which are clean. Think about it solar and wind are reliable and clean.
Sure, all you need is a battery that will A) store enough energy for at least 250 miles of driving; B) recharge safely in 15 minutes or so; and C) not weigh so much that you're spending the lion's share of the energy hauling the battery. Then you can build an EV that will do what I need a car to do. Until then, hybrids offer the only practical path.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Sure, all you need is a battery that will A) store enough energy for at least 250 miles of driving; B) recharge safely in 15 minutes or so; and C) not weigh so much that you're spending the lion's share of the energy hauling the battery. Then you can build an EV that will do what I need a car to do. Until then, hybrids offer the only practical path.
does it take that much to get to work?, i think that what should happen is people should commute in their ev's and rent a gas vehicle when needed, only a couple times a year.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Box Dreamer

xB Commuter - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 40.76 mpg (US)
EV is the ultimate solution. Now, we need more efficient gasoline hybrid. Hopefully, the next generation after prius 3, the gasoline engine will be efficient like diesel. GM is working on that technology (fire without spark plugs, I forgot the name) At the same time, early EV should have 150miles range, 80mph, 50% recharge in 15 minutes, 80% recharge in 30 minutes, 100% recharge in 1 hour. Even better idea, have a hand carry battery under 20lb, so we can bring to office to recharge. :P Also, good for those drivers who live in apartment.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't think EV's are the exact solution to our problem. Being that there's more polution contributed from power plants then all the cars on the road. So a mix of two would losen our spectrum on being totaly dependent on one source of energy. Which I would say be the ultimate goal for anyone.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

As I understand it, EV's charged from the grid put out ~40% LESS pollution than internal combustion cars do -- even with the majority of our US electricity plants being coal fired.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 07-31-2008, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Check out the Ford Hybrid Escape its a SUV runs off E85... 34-30 MPG and thats for a SUV...

Reply  Post New Thread