Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Squeezing more MPG out of a brick house.

For starters, im new. but not new to the automotive world.

So from what can tell there are not many SUV's around getting eco modded, which i find surprising because SOO many people own them these days.

So i have decided to test somethings out on mine, its a 2.7 ton 2005 land rover lr3. its full time AWD a high compression 4.4lV8 and a 6spd Auto transmission with manushift. When i first bought the LR3 i was averaging 13.8 to 14.3 mpg. almost all city, and that was driving very conservatively. After reading a few articles on oil viscosity's i changed my engine oil for some 5w-20 synthetic and changed all the drive-train fluids (minus the transmission) with fresh synthetic oil. This slightly increased my mpg, i am now averaging 15 to 16mpg consistently, driving the same route same style. the vehicle has no other mods. performance wise.

Now a list of possible future mods.
1.) This vehicle has a large clutch driven fan, seeing as land rover went over kill on the cooling system (130f ambient= no problem) i am looking into an electric fan. I swapped one on my 1999 jeep and went from 19mpg hwy average to 21mpg hwy average. This was when i was commuting 120 miles round trip a day at 55mph, all highway at 4:30am the vehicle was a 4.0l i6 5 speed jeep hard top with 3.73 gears and 33 12.50 r15 all terrain tires.

2.) I am planning on a custom detachable grill block using plexiglass that way i can put it on the outside of my grill and it will barely be noticeable. to improve highway mileage during road trips. i currently average 19mpg and 60mph, and 17.5 at 70mph. (huge drop!)

3.) I think this vehicle would greatly benefit from some sort of belly pan for road trips Most likely made of aluminum because it will need to be strong during the occasional off road usage.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sounds like we've got the same goals and about the same starting numbers!

I definitely noticed a difference swapping all fluids to synthetic. Keep posting about mods you make and I'll do the same..similar profiles!

My one concern with grill blocks is I'm down in New Orleans so engine overheating could be an issue.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah i understand that, i live in houston so not much difference temp wise during the summer haha! im picking up so lexan this afternoon, should have some pics up of my grill block middle of the week.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehninger12 View Post
I am planning on a custom detachable grill block using plexiglass that way i can put it on the outside of my grill and it will barely be noticeable. to improve highway mileage during road trips.
Have you never considered to make an adjustable grille block? Messing with the angles of its plates you could allow for a higher air flow if required, while still reducing the drag.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Have you never considered to make an adjustable grille block? Messing with the angles of its plates you could allow for a higher air flow if required, while still reducing the drag.
Initially no, i was just going to block the grill with something easily removable just to see how much i will gain. its relatively cool in houston tx right now, and im going to be testing my grill block on a road trip this week. If gains are significant enough then like you suggested i will have to think of a way to regulate or allow more airflow to the radiator when temps reach into the 90-100's. I was thinking if i split the block into two places and make different mounting points i could open a close the hole depending on how much airflow is need, kind of like a sliding glass door. any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehninger12 View Post
I was thinking if i split the block into two places and make different mounting points i could open a close the hole depending on how much airflow is need, kind of like a sliding glass door. any thoughts?
I was considering something similar, but more like a Venetian window blind.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I love your starting platform! I also really like the idea of a clear grille block. I want to have one on my car, but I also want to be able to pull up to cruise spots and not LOOK like an ecomodder!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfeffer View Post
I also want to be able to pull up to cruise spots and not LOOK like an ecomodder!
Sometimes is really better to not look exactly as an ecomodder, since some mods actually look more ricer-ish. That's why I like fiberglass more than coroplast

Reply  Post New Thread