Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

95 SL1 5spd - '95 Saturn SL1
90 day: 41.18 mpg (US)
Blue LCD?

I was just wondering how difficult it would be to switch to a blue lcd display as opposed to stock green one? I know that there is some soldering involved just dont know how intricate the work is. I'm confident with my soldering skills just not sure about the small size and how difficult it would be.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
1. the blue lcds suck at night and don't provide as good contrast/readability during the day, I don't recommend it, but anyway:

2. the newer prebuilts come with a low power backlight (stn), might be another resistor rig to get the backlight right.

3. it is easier to cut the wires between the lcd and the guino then heat and remove the remaining bits, than it is to try to heat all the connections at once and seperate them.

4. cut the glue binding the board and lcd CAREFULLY, there are delicate circuit traces all around.

5. once you get the lcd seperated and the bits of wire removed from the guino, you should go over all the holes with an iron and a solder sucker to clean out the holes.

6. make sure you insulate the new LCD with some plastic in a sandwich. I used hot temp glue.

7. make sure you don't short out the connections on the lcd, there isn't much space between the pads. you can just heat and flick any solder bridges if they happen though.