Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
BMW will supply diesel engines for US police cars

With the global economy going from one crisis to another, with oil price hikes in between, the US police has finally started thinking about fuel economy. Ending the American "The only thing better than a big V8 is an even bigger V8" mentality, Carbon Motors will supply 240,000 cop cars with BMW's 3 liter, straight 6 turbodiesel engine.

Carbon Motors to use BMW diesel in new E7 police car - AutoBlog

Quote:
Powered by the BMW diesel, the Carbon E7 is expected to achieve up to a 40-percent reduction in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions compared to current police vehicles. While this diesel-powered E7 will certainly be fuel efficient, it will also be substantially more expensive to buy than current police cruisers. Performance, however, should not be a problem and 0-60 miles per hour in the mid-six-second range should be easily achievable with all that torque. Based on our experience with the 335d, combined mileage in the upper 20-mpg range and highway mileage in the 30s should be easily achievable, making this a potentially very thrift highway patrol vehicle.
Compared to other cop cars, which get 14-18 city/21-28 highway, it shouldn't take too long to pay for itself.

Notice the lights are integrated into the roof, improving Cd. The next step should be bulletproof wheelskirts.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
The next step should be bulletproof wheelskirts.
LOL!! So not only would they improve aero a little, they would protect the wheels! Genius!

ollie
Old 03-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Yeah, not going to happen. I'd bet they'd choose the Caprice or the Interceptor over a BMW diesel. The performance might be good, nice long gearing for high speed chases and good FE on the street. But if they get an Automatic to handle that much torque I'd be surprise. They'd have to but a heavy duty truck transmission behind that thing. Because lets face it, the Police don't drive manual tranny cars. The durability is supposed to be 250k miles, a Diesel could do that but not very many trannies especially Autos last that long with that much torque. Because you know, what will happen is the first time an office stomps the gas pedal telling that BMW Diesel to "giddy'up" in the vehicle's life is the first time the transmission blows.

I put my money on the Interceptor with Ecoboost. At least it could be cheaper than a BMW powerplant.

Reply  Post New Thread