Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
seeking aero mods

Boat tail mod to my enclosed trailer

I just traveled 1861 miles in two days and got 3-4 mpg increase. When I get more time, I will post the actual mileage. I am going to try and make time to put a nose cone on the front of the same.

Also, it seems that the faster I go, the better mileage I get? There seems to be a sweet spot about 75 and it is really smooth and the boost is only about 4 to 5.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coroplast boattail.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	6730  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braebyrn View Post
I just traveled 1861 miles in two days and got 3-4 mpg increase. When I get more time, I will post the actual mileage. I am going to try and make time to put a nose cone on the front of the same.

Also, it seems that the faster I go, the better mileage I get? There seems to be a sweet spot about 75 and it is really smooth and the boost is only about 4 to 5.

Rick

Good thinkin', Rick.

For the front, do the same but with fairing oriented vertically. Maybe could fair the axle under the trailer, so that the coroplast would flex as the axle moves up and down.

What sort of tape, etc. did you use on the Coro? Good, durable sticktion?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
T-100 Road Warrior

BZP T-100 (2010) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 24 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2011) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 23.66 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2009) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 19.01 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2012) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 25.45 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2013) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 25.79 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2014) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.18 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2015) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.85 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2016) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 17.62 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2017) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.78 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2018) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2019) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5

BZP T-100 (2020) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5

2012 Scion iQ - '12 Scion iQ Base
Thanked 1,395 Times in 968 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to BamZipPow
Looks good!

However...if you drive through here in Texas...yer gonna git a ticket fer an obscured license plate, rear lights.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braebyrn View Post

Rick
Rick,at 75 the engine may be seeing the best island of efficiency on it's BSFC map.
Anything you do to close the void between the truck and trailer should pay dividends.Get the trailer into a '2-car NASCAR draft' so to speak.
Appreciate the heads up.It's very good news!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Rick,at 75 the engine may be seeing the best island of efficiency on it's BSFC map.
Anything you do to close the void between the truck and trailer should pay dividends.Get the trailer into a '2-car NASCAR draft' so to speak.
I'm really glad you did this, as it corroborates my suppositions about modding a cheap Harbor Freight flatbed trailer for motorcycle hauling.

In that case, the ~$200 trailer could be upgraded with decent wheel bearings, as the stock ones are dirt.

Then, increase floor space with elliptical plywood floor on the tongue, an otherwise wasted area, enclosed with elliptical fairing of coroplast. Enclose axle and wheel wells accordingly, then teardrop or von Kamm tail. So, 4X8 rectangular bed grows to ~5X 12 teardrop bed. Coroplast has hollow flutes, so to stiffen it will accept wood dowel rods of appropriate diameter.

Coroplast is translucent, so maybe LED light strings could be inserted into flutes for brake and running lights.

This would be a very light trailer, and with such improvements in streamlining and NASCAR draft effect, it is conceivable that highway fuel economy might be better than with no trailer.

Problems to overcome would include the wall/roof intersections, but sculpted styrofoam or polyurethane foam would work, if faced with fiberglass.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
very light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I'm really glad you did this, as it corroborates my suppositions about modding a cheap Harbor Freight flatbed trailer for motorcycle hauling.

In that case, the ~$200 trailer could be upgraded with decent wheel bearings, as the stock ones are dirt.

Then, increase floor space with elliptical plywood floor on the tongue, an otherwise wasted area, enclosed with elliptical fairing of coroplast. Enclose axle and wheel wells accordingly, then teardrop or von Kamm tail. So, 4X8 rectangular bed grows to ~5X 12 teardrop bed. Coroplast has hollow flutes, so to stiffen it will accept wood dowel rods of appropriate diameter.

Coroplast is translucent, so maybe LED light strings could be inserted into flutes for brake and running lights.

This would be a very light trailer, and with such improvements in streamlining and NASCAR draft effect, it is conceivable that highway fuel economy might be better than with no trailer.

Problems to overcome would include the wall/roof intersections, but sculpted styrofoam or polyurethane foam would work, if faced with fiberglass.
I see no reason why the unit wouldn't be very light,unlike my Frankensteinian creation.
Home Depot has an ABS plastic garden pool as large as a trailer body which probably doesn't weigh 20-pounds ( 9-kilos ).Two of these would account for enough plastic to create an upper and lower clamshell.With 3/4-inch ( 19mm ) plywood decking,we're still talking under 250-pounds ( 113-kilos ).
The gap-fillers are yet an un-resolved issue,but mine are evolving nicely,just have to wait.There are certainly dozens of 'solutions' for them,just like automatic drip coffee-makers.
At some point,it's a no-brainer.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
seeking aero mods

Quote:
Good thinkin', Rick.

For the front, do the same but with fairing oriented vertically. Maybe could fair the axle under the trailer, so that the coroplast would flex as the axle moves up and down.

What sort of tape, etc. did you use on the Coro? Good, durable sticktion?
Thanks, first try at it. The tape is Tucktape. I got it from a friend in Canada. Sticks very well. I did use screws and fender washer under it. Had a side wind and blew the side one off. Acting like a parachute right now. Gotta fix it.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
seeking aero mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
Looks good!

However...if you drive through here in Texas...yer gonna git a ticket fer an obscured license plate, rear lights.
I won't be going thru Texas for another week, but I have been passed by at least 10 state patrols in about 6 states. The license plate is on the side. You can barely see it in the picture. The taile lights are actually visable on both sides. They are the thin rail mounted ones on each side, although that was on my mind to put some on it also.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
seeking aero mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I had the same thoughts about the back of the truck. Actually, I was going to do something there first, but read somewhere on here that the back is where I should start. Something from Mercedes?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
seeking aero mods

Quote:

Great ideas, and the Coroplast that I got is not the white one, but the opaque one. The led lights that are on the back of the trailer now make for a nice show at night!

Reply  Post New Thread