Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Windswept - '08 Honda Civic EX
Prius (second gen) beep banishing?

Hello. I've got a slightly strange task at hand, and I'm hopeful that someone here may be able to help.

My sister recently got a 2004 Prius from my parents. It works wonderfully, and is a good car for her, but there's one problem: the car beeps. This is the normal beeping whenever a button is pushed.

Why would this be a problem, you ask? Her dog. My sister's dog is from a rescue organization, and as far as we can tell was caught in a burning building earlier in her life. She's absolutely terrified of anything that sounds the least bit like a smoke alarm (smoke as well, but that's not so relevant). Apparently, to the dog, the feedback beeps for doing practically anything on the car qualify. Turn on the radio? Beep. Change the temperature? Beep. Any time you use the touchscreen or press a button on the steering wheel, the dog goes into a panic and tries to jump into my sister's lap. Obviously this isn't safe, and pulling over any time she wants to change any setting is a pain.

I've already disabled the backup and seatbelt beeps, so I've looked into it, but google only gives results for doing that, not the general beeps.

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable every beep and if so, how? Ideally it wouldn't involve anything permanent like clipping a buzzer, as I'd be the one doing that and I'm a 10 hour drive away.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
check the owners manual?
there is often a way to turn stuff like this on and off by patting your head flashing your high beams and flicking the key on and off a few times, the dealer should be able to tell you this as well.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Windswept - '08 Honda Civic EX
Unfortunately there's nothing about it in either the owner's or (from what I could tell during a quick look) service manuals. The local dealer claimed there wasn't even any way to turn off the backup beep, so they aren't any help.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Find the beeper / buzzer and wrap it in duck tape?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
I'd recommend posting this question over at priuschat.com. Every inch of the prius is covered over there and I'm sure someone would tell you if its possible to disable the beeps you are describing
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Restrain the dog so it doesn't cause a problem.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Reply  Post New Thread