Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2020, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Book - The Streamlined Decade

The Streamlined Decade (available from under US$5 here) is a great book to browse. The decade refers to the 1930s and covers trains, planes, cars, consumer goods and so on.

'Streamline' in this context refers as much to the artistry as the technology; the book is as happy talking about 'streamlined' cream separators as it is streamlined cars!

People who follow the threads here will have seen all the cars before, but for those who don't trawl the archives, there's plenty here that will be new.

Not at all a technical book, nor a formal history, but really interesting nonetheless. And if you're fan of streamlined locomotives of the 1930s (as I am), and are interested in how 'streamlining' was applied to all manner of objects, you'll like it.

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-30-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-28-2020, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
I got it when it came out. It's prolly in a box around here somewhere.

That locomotive on the cover was my favorite as a child

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6b/f6/05/6...iver-gorge.jpg

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
JulianEdgar (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

My favourite:

When we were in the US, we went to the Chicago museum to see it especially. We couldn't believe how the tour guide didn't understand its significance. Even my (then) 10 year old son knew more about it than she did... (Alexander actually patted it and said, "never mind, never mind...")

I am sure no one is interested but this is what I wrote afterwards:

Today we went to the largest technical museum in the western hemisphere – the Museum of Science + Industry, Chicago.

We added this museum primarily because of two exhibits – the wonderful Burlington Zephyr train, and the Spirit of America Land Speed Record car driven by Craig Breedlove. Add to that the U505 German submarine captured by the Americans in WWII – and you’d have to say that there’s a pretty world-class museum.

And seeing these attractions in the flesh was really fantastic.

The Breedlove car – probably the first Land Speed Record car built on a budget – is petite and beautiful. It can hold its head high in appearance and execution, even in the mega-cost company of cars like Donald Campbell’s Bluebird.

The Zephyr – the holder of a lot of railway ‘firsts’ including stainless steel cladding, lightweight engineered truss construction, aerodynamic streamlining and the use of a diesel-powered rail-car set – is exhilarating beautiful.

The U505 – a complete German WWII submarine out of the water on display - is fascinating.

But oh my god. Overall, what a dumbed-down, trivialised, infantile place for the ignorant is this museum! It’s a parody of a museum, a theme park to entertain airheads. Every exhibit had to be equipped with flashing lights, or pre-recorded narration, or animatronic figures. For all the people who cannot read, apparently.

So the incredibly significant Burlington Zephyr train was internally equipped with – and I am not joking – an animatronic donkey. The donkey ‘talking’ to the guide was a major part of the tour. And the tour guide? Like the later submarine tour guide, she’d just memorised a spiel and knew very little about the subject of the tour. Worse, she recited falsehoods. The reason for the light weight of the Zephyr? Cos it was made of stainless steel, not iron she said.

Well, riiiiiight.

The submarine tour guide rushed us past the fascinating parts of this extraordinary machine, and instead paused where we could pretend to be depth charged (the cabin lights inexplicably brightening – not darkening - every time a pseudo depth charge exploded).

Unfortunately, the tour of the U505 was lowest common denominator stuff.

At least the Breedlove car could simply be looked at, without stupid sounds and talking donkeys and ignorant tour guides spouting nonsense.

And the aforementioned exhibits were the best part of the museum: much of the rest was absolute rubbish.

But there were some occasional gems sprinkled among the dross: the 100kW(!) electric light bulb; the Boeing 727 suspended from the roof and wonderfully accessible; the early steam locomotives (but typically, no mention of which were replicas and which were real historic artefacts); the bicycles and the recording barometer that lived through a tornado.

But overall, a lesson in how to not do a museum.

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 09-28-2020 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: age correction
Old 09-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Hopefully you get to go back. I've only been one time (outrageous, since it's only two hours from here!) but when we went, we were able to wander through the submarine and Zephyr sans guides. At that time, they had an Aptera on display as well, which was interesting, but no Spirit of America.

I was also interested in the building, the only remaining from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. Of course, they didn't have any displays or information about that.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

And I should add that not far away is The Henry Ford museum in Detroit - one of the world's best technological museums.

Reply  Post New Thread