Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Don't overthink it. Your just trying to fill the wake.

Mair suggests that you want a smooth curve to an included angle of 2x22=~45°, then truncate to whatever length you can live with. On the top and sides, with the bottom at 4°. That's why cars from the 30s looked like tail-draggers. Upstream air affects the result; your notchback roof and stock underside work against you.

The truncation is the same shape as a base plate, just filled in. Take the profile at the rear and just shrink it down and lower it a little. The truncation can be flat convex or concave, that won't make much difference.

So much for the shape.
Quote:
...me making one that looks good...
As far as the materials, I suggested PolyMetal because it is a pre-finished material available in a variety of colors. I'm experimenting with edging it; routing away all but one skin and folding that over. It's hard to do on a table saw, the skin is .007" and my router needs a new collet chuck. I think the edge could be wrapped around a wire to stiffen it.

The redwood bender board (at your landscaping supply store) is light and it cleans up nicely if you want the Chris-Craft look—varnished or fiberglassed. With fiberglass, unless you lay a gelcoat insidie a female form there is a lot of finish work involved.

You may wind up with multiple pieces. It looks like the bike rack lifts with the trunk lid. A 2nd piece to overlay the bumper and partial bellypan? Clear covers for the tailights or trailer lights? Will there be holes when you remove that 'race car' spoiler?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread