Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Car won't start (read for more info).

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry 2.2l. It started up just fine until about 2 1/2 weeks ago when it wouldn't start unless I put my foot on the gas at the same time as turning the key. The issue was my air hose leading from my airbox to my engine was ripped. I replaced it with an aftermarket air intake and it seems to have helped, now I have to hold the key for 3-5 second and don't have to touch the throttle. There has to be an underlining problem... Anyone here happen to have any idea what the problem might be?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
I drive with my mechanic every so often and on one occasion when I showed him how long it takes to start the truck, he said the ball valve in the fuel pump (or regulator, I forgot which one he said) is getting stuck and by holding the key for longer it builds enough fuel pressure to overcome the ball's 'stickiness'.

Maybe it's something similar? Have you tried running a fuel system cleaner?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
I have a 1995 Toyota Camry 2.2l. It started up just fine until about 2 1/2 weeks ago when it wouldn't start unless I put my foot on the gas at the same time as turning the key.
Isn't that normal behavior, at least for later cars with computer controls? I know neither of mine will start without at least a tiny pressure on the gas pedal. Same as they won't start without the clutch being pressed...
Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Century - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
Typically fuel injected cars should not need any throttle pressure to start. When soemthing is not right, pressingthe throttle a bit may be a band aid and get you going though.

The fuel delivery sounds like your trouble. Along the lines of what Jeff is talking about. I would suspect the fuel pressure is dropping off when the engine is off and it takes a bit of time for the pressure to rise again once you start cranking.

The pressure regulator, fuel filter, fuel pump pickup are all suspects here.

A fuel pressure gauge will tell the story. If you connect it and run the car you will see a pressure that should stay at least for a while once you turn the key off. If you have the gauge connected as you start, you can see how long it takes for the pressure to rise and see if the car starts after the pressure gets up a bit (same timing as the 2 to 3 seconds) I've seen regulators go bad internally and let fuel pass into the vacume line into the intake. The car would run rich, and would be hard to start. GM product, but most rely on the same ideas, just different looks.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Thanks guys for the help, I forgot to add, the car sat for many years (from 2004-2008 then from 2011-2013). I'm also thinking there might be buildup or something in the lines somewhere from it sitting for so long.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It can go the other way. Too much fuel will make the car hard to start until the excess is cleared. Injectors leaking maybe? A dead/dying coolant temp. sensor will do something similar (along with really bad fuel consumption).

Most (all?) EFI has a clear flood mode where if the throttle is held open a substantial fraction of its travel while cranking the injector pulse is reduced or stopped. The purpose is to clear excess fuel through the engine, perhaps due to a faulty CTS or a marginal ignition system not firing. Otherwise throttle input is best actively avoided while starting.

The Following User Says Thank You to Occasionally6 For This Useful Post:
olds455 (11-25-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread