Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I would say to make side skirts like are seen on semi-trucks. Starting in a little and moving out to be even with the sides.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
Cool. I just stepped out of big trucks to try van freight with my own '07 Express 2500 (traded the trailblazer in on it). While I won't be doing anything to affect the utility or *conservative* look of the van, I really do want to ease the pain of fueling her through about 300 miles per day.
Instrumentation will be early on my shopping list.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I don't think anyone would consider an air dam a freakish look. Even side skirts if it came down to it. They'd get it right off the bat, IMO.

Now, you want freakish, just go for 167 chicken lights and a Texas bumper on that van, ha! (But you have to admit that the mileage gains seen by orbywan on his moho with a kammback are impressive).

Spacer, you might think about starting a thread on it. IFTA mileage, pics, whatnot. Tire spec, idle time, calculated average mph and the rest. I was in a discussion about RV's and the best tow vehicle a while back and it occurred to me that a money-maker would be a 15-pax van to tow with. The TV (tow vehicle) could be dual-purpose in several respects. So I think there's a lot of potential in a full size van for interest out there.

My Michelin LTX A/S tires lasted 120k with 4/32's remaining. Second set may take me to 250k on my personal truck. The Bridgestone DURAVIS-series tire is looking even better according to some on the LTL boards, RV haulers, etc. I'm going to add either CENTRAMATIC or BALANCEMASTER wheel balancers to try to get those last good miles. Tire performance and life are big FE questions as you know. Few are going to run miles like yours (type, not just distances).

There's those of us on the truck enthusiast boards, etc, also interested in hearing from a commercial operator about cost improvment, but they don't have subforums on FE, just a lot of go-fast stuff. A small businessman is hopefully a workable future. Class 8 is in trouble at some point.

Some decent truck driver blogs out there, but a lot to wade through for most folks not familiar with the confines of the regulations to understand how it works.

Be safe, thanks for considering it.

Last edited by slowmover; 10-14-2011 at 01:32 AM..
Old 10-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #34 (permalink)
mostly harmless

My last ride was a W900L, getting roughly 4.9mpg. Back in the mid-90s, I owned a Pete 372, which was more my style, and was able to frequently manage 9mpg moderately loaded. Not really into chicken lights or heaps of chrome, personally.
As for my van, I'll keep track of the mileage, and may start a thread about it, but I'm terrible at maintaining that sort of thing, so updates would be kinda sporadic.
I don't consider air dams to be freaky at all. Mostly I'd be concerned with the utility of the vehicle. For instance, a full skirt on the back would be a bit awkward on my van, since I'll be using that door quite a lot. An air dam and side skirts really wouldn't be in the way at all.
Also, due to the shape of the van, keeping it slightly below the speed limit will probably have a much larger effect than it would with the Trailblazer or my wife's Vue.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacer For This Useful Post:
slowmover (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
I bought a cheap bluetooth code reader on ebay and use it with Android Torque with good success. Think it was around $30 with shipping.

Side skirts are next as soon as I get some ABS.

I've been working on the rear Kammback idea too. Like you my doors ae in use through the day. I hope to get some white Abs next week. The piece I made from scrap looks like it will work.

My boss will never go for disc wheels or wheel well covers, too abnormal looking.

Feel free to steal the airdam, on the hwy I now crack 20MPG. Funny thing is this van does worse at 65MPH but better at 70MPH, maybe tranny lockup, mabe fuel mapping, dunno. Let me know if yours does the same.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Interestingly, I think I could probably get away with the wheel covers, and I'm not a heavy brakester anyway so heat buildup shouldn't be an issue. I looked, and it turns out Tofu doesn't have an air dam installed at the moment. That's probably part of why my first mpg check showed 14.3... that and the 75mph highway speeds I was driving during that tank.
Today I drove an overflow route, and kept my highway speeds at a more normal (for me) range, and I'll see this evening what sort of difference that made.
Interesting about the higher speeds. Driving up to 55, I only counted three gears, and it didn't even respond to my trying to nudge it up with the accelerator. getting up to 60 or so, I was able to feel the ever-so-gentle shift, and she was purring along. I dunno, in a 3/4 ton van, maybe the shift point for overdrive isn't as low?

So... if I can get my droid to talk to the van, that'd be awesome. Maybe this weekend I'll even get off my virtual butt and start a thread.

By the way, my regular route is a 60 mile dash on the freeway, deliveries in Tuscaloosa for a few hours, and a dash back. Home is about halfway back to the warehouse, so if I head back with no returns or order envelopes, I can save about 60 miles by just stopping at the house and not turning in my tickets until next morning.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just joined here. Googled about air dams and saw this thread. FWIW, in the early 80's I owned a 1980 Accord hatchback and installed a front and side skirt kit. I actually DID see a highway fuel mileage improvement and less wind noise. Am now replacing a 97 Express with a 2006 6.0 Express. This is actually exactly the info I was looking for. Some thoughts;

1) Attaching the front is sort of a no-brainer. But, what are the thoughts an best method of attaching to the sides without punching holes in the body?
2) While a belly pans sounds inviting, there should be concerns about managing the heat from the exhaust, especially the cat.
3) Jason, what engine is in the 03? If it's a 5.7, that mileage is WAY north of what my 97 did. (I know, different engines, but that is still some good mileage before and after.)
4) Anybody considered winter removal ?!?!?! Think ............. SNOW.
5) Was the facia mounted by shooting screws into the bottom of the bumper?

Last edited by snaponbob; 10-29-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Old 11-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

snaponbob;267856 Just joined here. Googled about air dams and saw this thread. FWIW, in the early 80's I owned a 1980 Accord hatchback and installed a front and side skirt kit. I actually DID see a highway fuel mileage improvement and less wind noise. Am now replacing a 97 Express with a 2006 6.0 Express. This is actually exactly the info I was looking for. Some thoughts;

1) Attaching the front is sort of a no-brainer. But, what are the thoughts an best method of attaching to the sides without punching holes in the body?
There is metal on the bottom of the body almost level with the frame to screw to.
2) While a belly pans sounds inviting, there should be concerns about managing the heat from the exhaust, especially the cat.
Yes. Many have used aluminum with success.
3) Jason, what engine is in the 03? If it's a 5.7, that mileage is WAY north of what my 97 did. (I know, different engines, but that is still some good mileage before and after.)
I think its a 5.3
4) Anybody considered winter removal ?!?!?! Think ............. SNOW.
It flexes
5) Was the facia mounted by shooting screws into the bottom of the bumper?[/QUOTE]
Yes. I used self drilling sheetrock screws.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A-B-A testing

Did some A-B-A testing recently.

My 90 day average is 15.17 with the air dam.

This last tank was 13.55 with the air dam off.

Waiting to see what the next tank does.

The Following User Says Thank You to JasonG For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-29-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Pretty much 10%. Nice.

Reply  Post New Thread