Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

stinky - '97 geo metro lsi
90 day: 44.71 mpg (US)
Build the best metro

I would swear somebody has did this but i was wonder what the best package would be if you had all the parts available.

1. Body- The sedan would be the best cause it has the lowest cd? Once u striped the weight down wouldnt cd be the most important.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post62928

2. Motor- 3 cylinder

3. Tranny- the 95+ 1.3

4. Tires- I believe the 12's (145/82/12) would be best if you could get the right gearing in the tranny but otherwise the 13's are (155/80/13)

5. Muffler. None-Run a straight pipe after the cat. restrict the end to tune the backpressure.

6. 93-94 flat front bumper, not rounded one

Last edited by guitarterry; 09-24-2008 at 09:53 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
if you are going to go with a sedan why not just cut off the passenger side and make it an inline two passenger, taking a 4 door and making it a two door with the two doors on the drivers side.
I would think that a xfi engine and tranny would be the way to go, 135 R13 tires would be what I would use, and if less restriction on an exhaust is the way to go then just do away with it all together... wait I've done that before on a motorcycle and it had no power with out the the exhaust system to keep the exhaust velocity up, you can test it with any engine.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Yaris What????

Yari - '07 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Weren't you the guy who said the I4 was more economical than an I3. Have a change of heart? Those little things barely make any power, a straight pipe would strip what little you have on the low end, and couple reduce backpressure so drastically that the engine would probably stall right after starting. On the right track thought.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

if you are going to chop the car up it doesnt matter what body u start with
Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristock View Post
Weren't you the guy who said the I4 was more economical than an I3. Have a change of heart? Those little things barely make any power, a straight pipe would strip what little you have on the low end, and couple reduce backpressure so drastically that the engine would probably stall right after starting. On the right track thought.
I'll have what you are smoking. I asked the question why the I4 turning at 2400rpm wouldnt be more economical than the I3 turning at 3200rpm ,especially since i travel alot of miles at a time.
The reasons were;
1. the frictional losses would be lower in the I4 because since there is the same amout of cylinders firing per minute. the I4 is turning slower and friction increase as a square of speed.
2. the accesories are turning slower in the I4, just like if you used an underdrive pulley.
3. The motor should last 25% longer

But i never did get a real answer, people kept talking about idling and how many injectors were firing. hell one guy even talked about how those old out-of-date bulky, performance v8's were less economical than a little motor.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
if you are going to go with a sedan why not just cut off the passenger side and make it an inline two passenger, taking a 4 door and making it a two door with the two doors on the drivers side.
I would think that a xfi engine and tranny would be the way to go, 135 R13 tires would be what I would use, and if less restriction on an exhaust is the way to go then just do away with it all together... wait I've done that before on a motorcycle and it had no power with out the the exhaust system to keep the exhaust velocity up, you can test it with any engine.
How do you find 135 R13 tires and suitable wheels? I've gone the route of looking for available LRR tires that help tweak the gear ratio, but the wheels are scarce, too.

The 8-valve and the XFI had the tallest transmission gears. The pre-'95 models are lighter and smaller, and of those, the coupe is 45 pounds lighter than the 4-door, and shaped to make it easy to extend the tail.

I think that the performance advantage of an exhaust pipe comes not from back pressure, but from suction produced by the momentum of the exhaust gasses in a tuned pipe.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
How do you find 135 R13 tires and suitable wheels? I've gone the route of looking for available LRR tires that help tweak the gear ratio, but the wheels are scarce, too.

The 8-valve and the XFI had the tallest transmission gears. The pre-'95 models are lighter and smaller, and of those, the coupe is 45 pounds lighter than the 4-door, and shaped to make it easy to extend the tail.

I think that the performance advantage of an exhaust pipe comes not from back pressure, but from suction produced by the momentum of the exhaust gasses in a tuned pipe.
I am running 165/80/13's on my 1.3 auto lsi 4dt. getting 44. as i drive 50 miles to work one way, the cd matter more than weight. and weight is easier for me the fix than body style. (i dont do anything weight wise right now on my car). On the muffler thats why i think its best to run a pipe all the way back. You can then tune it by changing the size. But you dont need a muffler on these engines.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ecoformance Engineer

EJ7 - '96 honda civic Hx
Last 3: 58.02 mpg (US)
put a honda engine in it

muahahaha

70 mpg or die modding

www.full-race.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
looking forward to seeing what kind of uber-sipper slinks out of the full race skunkworks.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I know the chevy metro is really am import, but i cant sink low enough to completly turn my back on america and go with honda. But i guess if nobody pops the hood just my conscience will be hurt.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
CoyoteX already built the ultimate Metro.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...onvertible+XFi

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Reply  Post New Thread