Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Camry - '00 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.09 mpg (US)
I put the camry on a bit of a diet and removed some of my 'junk' out of it. Here are some of the things I removed and their weights:

18 lbs - Box of trunk stuff - Roadside kit, flashlight, first aid kit, etc.
28 lbs - Two Sets of Floor Mats - I had all-weather mats on top of the carpeted mats
8 lbs - Drycleaning / work shoes (steel toe)
28 lbs - Box of interior stuff - Tools, Trash, Change, Operators Manual, etc
17 lbs - Convertible Car seat - I am obviously leaving this in the car, but I wanted to weigh it just for my info.

I also removed the spare tire and scissor jack from the trunk and replaced them with a can of fix-a-flat, but haven't gotten around to weighing them yet. My assumption is that the savings is around 50 lbs. I have AAA so I am not really all that worried about not having a spare tire as my car is usually within 100 miles of my house.

Total weight loss is around 150 including the car seat which I have started taking out for work trips.

Advertised curb weight of 2998 lbs so assuming the addition of:
110 lbs for 18.1 gal of fuel (Full Tank~6.08 lb/gal)
21 lbs for ~12qts oils/fluids (Motor, Trans, Differential, PS, Brake - Assuming Avg 7 lb/gal)
205 lbs for my fat a$$
Combining for an assumed Total Vehicle weight of around 3334 lbs after removing my 'junk'. Some day I want to stop and actually weigh the car on a truck scale.

Overall Savings of [(3484-3334)/3484]*100% ~ 4% weight savings. Not bad at all

I am sure there are a lot more things which can be removed for weight savings, but for this first round I am pretty happy with the results.

Until Next Time~

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread