Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
[crickets]

The consensus seems to be that a loose flapping tarp isn't helpful. So how to keep it in tension? Possibly fiberglass rods or inflated tubes.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-09-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2020, 02:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentring View Post
Yes, I came across that site a while back on an image searching rabbit hole that led me to a picture in this thread (don't click it JulianEdgar ). There's also a smoke test video on the last post of that thread that's neat.
If ever there is a place that The Template might be of some use (but as Freebeard says, in 3D, not 2D) it would be in a vehicle like a trailer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-04-2020), freebeard (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
[crickets]

The consensus seems to be that a loose flapping tarp isn't helpful. So how to keep it in tension? Possibly fiberglass rods or inflated tubes.
From what I remember, it was a flexible material that had the ability to stretch when turning and was easily unattached for entry to the rear hatch of the vehicle. I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended to be a permanent fixture but from the gains the person reported the idea keeps popping back in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
If ever there is a place that The Template might be of some use (but as Freebeard says, in 3D, not 2D) it would be in a vehicle like a trailer.
I've suspected the same thing for a while, which is partially why I'm building it in a usable now, but easily modifiable later design. I wanted to taper the sidewalls like in my mock-up picture with wood, but that made my usable space a bit too tight in the rear.
The Following User Says Thank You to bentring For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-09-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
it was a flexible material that had the ability to stretch when turning and was easily unattached for entry to the rear hatch of the vehicle.
Else the over-the-hitch door of your Bowlus. A stretched material can still vibrate. I think that's the problem. Maybe a flexible membrane could be structured to absorb turbulence in the boundary layer. I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar
If ever there is a place ... it would be in a vehicle like a trailer.
Bowlus Road Chief.

http://www.extravaganzi.com/100000-b...-an-airstream/

More Mair than Template.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-03-2020 at 01:00 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-09-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
template trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
That one's been in the bag for 8-years already. No mpg penalty.'Invisible.'
Old 09-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You could make perfect rounded edges by using hot sand to bend PVC pipe.

Choose a radius you want then select PVC pipe that matches or is close to it. To construct the forming jig I'd cut a 1" long piece of the pipe. On the inside of the trailer mark it every foot or closer. Use the 1" long piece held up into the corner and construct frames to hold it in position at each mark.

Now you have a set of frames to be used much like they're made for constructing a wood strip boat, except here the only concern is forming the chines. Mount the frames to some lengthwise boards so they're held to the same spacing as the marks inside the trailer.

Lay the hot sand filled pipes into the upper corners of the frames and let it cool.

Cut the sides and top of the trailer skin on the line where they were tangent to the 1" long piece.

Cut the pipes lengthwise along that same line for a perfectly fitting rounded corner.

Figuring out how to connect the metal to PVC is up to you.

Covers on the outside of the wheels, covers on the insides too, with as close fitting a hole as you can make around the spindle. Get even more drag cutting by splitting a length of PVC and attach the halves to the front and rear of the square axle.

On the fenders, make new ones or get some plain rounded ones to start with. Mount as low and close as possible to the tires, with consideration given for clearance when the trailer is loaded. Use Cardboard Aided Design to make a cutting pattern for sheet metal to make pieces that taper from the outer edge of the fenders to the sides of the trailer.

Of course all this kind of stuff can add weight which could negate the savings from being aerodynamically slicker. Learning how to do fiberglass is fun but can be messy and smelly. Glassing the cardboard fender mockups then smoothing them to make plugs to make molds to make the finished lightweight fender fairings will take plenty of time but in the end there's a better, stronger, lighter weight product.

Some things definitely needed for a good fiberglass job. TR-104 Hi-Temp Mold Release Wax. PVA mold release (sometimes called "green soap"). Gelcoat resin. A detail spray gun. The detail gun can be used to spay on the PVA and to spray on acetone thinned gelcoat and first coats of polyester resin. Need to clean the spray gun out with acetone before the resin starts to set. Also pick up a copy of The Fiberglass Repair and Construction Handbook, 2nd Edition, published by TAB Books. Old book but 100% applicable today for working with glass fiber and polyester resin.

I would have just put a big vertically rounded front across the trailer with a rounded over top edge, a flat top and a sharp trailing edge, and fitting round fenders as close as practical to the tires. Less work and likely within a hair in efficiency of doing all the extreme shaping for ultimate drag reduction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galane For This Useful Post:
JulianEdgar (10-08-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
you could split some pipe insulation in half, then affix it along that harsh edge to the side wall. It is not an ideal radiusing method, but doing it in the existing metal and wood is really time consuming.
It is one of those things about aero, you can afford to increase frontal area if the CD goes down sufficiently from your improvements.
One added benefit from taming that edge is handling in windy conditions. In a crosswind ( let's face it, we are almost always in some form of crosswind ), the sharp pressure change on the downwind edge puts a huge side load on the trailer.
This transmits through the trailer tongue to impart a turning moment to the car.
My 5th wheel combo exhibits none of that due to the pivot point being just in front of the rear axle, effectively right over it.
When I tow a conventional trailer, even a small uhaul I can feel that turning moment.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 09-29-2020, 11:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Old 10-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aero trailer

Design wise maybe build something like this only backwards ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2fTnhrelnXmLrRD.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	29315   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_rYNSl7wa97DRcLL.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	29316  
Old 10-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RALPH SPOILSPORT View Post
Design wise maybe build something like this only backwards ?
Quite likely to be slipperier as it is (ie forwards)!

Reply  Post New Thread