Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 04:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
are you still running the original tire size?.... although that would also offset the odometer so you'de get the same error margin on your manual FE calculations.
or maybe:
some speedometers are reading out faster speeds than you're actially going too, for whatever reason (keep you from speeding... make the car seem faster than it really is?)
but if this data is used to compute your FE this could also account for the difference.

if the odometer is correct than you'd indeed see a difference

just thinking out loud

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelswrd View Post
I remember reading some posts on CleanMPG that Toyota built-in MPG meters are notorious for being too optimistic (ie higher MPG than it should be). Not sure what would account for these discrepancies but this is why nothing beats the odometer-tank fill method of MPG tracking.
According to the test done in Prius vs. Diesel Jeep Patriot by the auto-magazine 5th Gear, the Toyota Prius' trip computer was a whopping 17.1 mpg too optimistic.

The trip computer on my BMW 325i seems to be spot on based upon my odometer-tank MPG tracking.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Souten - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 63.73 mpg (US)
the problem with that comparison is that they didn't factor in the prius's variable sized gas tank bladder...
Current lifetime average MPG at 18100 miles: 65.6MPG
Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Guzzler Driver

Guzz - '03 Infiniti I35
90 day: 22.73 mpg (US)
I have a scanguage, and have run the first calibration for it.

My wife is currently driving the car, and made me remove the guage because it "bothered" her, so I'll have to redo everything once I get my car back.

Hopefully the SG does a better job.

I love this thing though, according to my SG, I was getting 25mpg or so by just doing some basic dwb and dwl -ing.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sebring device off 7%

My 2005 Sebring Touring convertible 2.7 L V-6 has the built-in gauge for fuel economy and it is off about 7% on average. Always optimistic, it's best guess was 3.8% over, it's worst error was 10.7% high. That's based on calculating FE using the trip odometer and the gallons at the pump numbers.

I use it for a relative indication of instantaneous (every 3-4 seconds updated) MPG.

Wonder if there is a way to adjust it's calibration to get it closer to reality, tho it is so inconsistent that I'd still be working with very fuzzy numbers. But it is better than nothing, I'm sure.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
I know that the Chrysler sebring Vert I had in Vegas last year was hopelessly optimistic.

Admittedly we beat the tar out of the thing; indicated mpg 21.x Actual mpg 12.3

I've heard several people refer to the for power stroke display as the factory lie-o-meter.
It is certainly the source of the " I drive an f250 4wd jacked up and I get 27mpg at 80mph" people who seamed so prevalent last summer.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
Yup mine is optimistic also. Maybe it's a nissan/infinity thing. Mine is almost always 2 MPG off give or take a few tenths. So I know the ballpark area of waht I am getting. Do you reset your FE meter everytime you fill-up? I do this (hold my trip button down when it is on the FE screen) and it levels out at about 1/4th of a tank. Anything after that mark I can take as being 2 MPG optimistic.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Unless you do this...you've lost control...

Hi, all !
MPG is a shifting beast. So many factors affect this number.
If a ScanGauge (or any other such device) is added to your vehicle to keep track of this beast...this does not mean you can put away your pencil and paper. The gauge needs to be checked after installation before you can put any faith in it. All that is required is to keep jotting down the number of gallons per refueling / along with the odometer reading, and as the miles build up...check to see how close (or far apart) the two MPG curves are to each other. In a "perfect world", the average curves should almost overlap. In our mass-produced world, there will be a spread. This takes no effort...just a resolution to do it. It is not even necessary to fill up each time you refuel. Just start with a full tank ; note the gallons
( nearest tenth) pumped... and remember to use the last data point at the "point + 1" note - to get the mileage used correct.
Eventually, the total gallons used will approach a high accuracy ( for the odometer readings ( you did check the accuracy of your speedo via the mileage marker / time method, didn't you?).
If you really want to split hairs...the corrected odometer reading / gallons pumped method can be used as a "correct" baseline, and the calibration adjustments for the SG ( via the tire diameter / gas tank capacity pre-set parameters) can be adjusted ever so slightly to bring the digital ranges closer to the "correct" number. This is a pain, but it's better than not doing anything.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
My built-in 4runner mpg gauge always reads much more optomistic mpg than I actually record when I do the math to make an entry in my fuel log. Usually it's in the 2.5-3mpg range.

I have noticed that it is way more off on city driving than highway driving. On a recent highway only road trip my mpg gauge was only off by about .5 mpg. Usually on my 90% city/10% highway tanks it's off by as much as 3 mpg!
Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Also consider that some MPG meters, like some of the ones on Ford's are not true tank averages, but averages for a range. In the case of some Ford's the MPG meter is accurate to the last 50 miles driven.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Reply  Post New Thread