Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Bumper Build

I thought I might share this bumper build here in case anybody is interested in doing their own bumper. On this particular bumper build, I applied my own style, but incorporated what I thought would improve my aerodynamic efficiency based on what I know about aerodynamics. I did not base this off of any wind tunnel or pieces of string taped to the car, just what I know about aerodynamics. I probably just got lucky on the design, because it certainly improves my fuel efficiency at higher speeds.

Here is a pic of my finished bumper:

All I did was mask off my original bumper with masking tape, and spray it with some mold release. I cut out a piece of metal shaped like my license plate and taped it in, and I taped in a piece of 0 gauge car audio wire to fill the gap between the hood and the bumper.

Next, I wrapped it up in fiberglass, let it dry, and popped it off of my taped up original bumper:

Then I used polyester body filler to smooth things out. Polyester body filler works great with polyester fiberglass resin.

Here you can see how the bumper curves up to fill the gap between the hood and the bumper if you look at the right lower corner of the head light. The factory bumper just goes straight across, level with the bottom of the head lights. I also made sure to make a very tight gap between the hood and bumper, since I do not want any air coming into the engine compartment.

I primered the project with good two part primer, and test fitted a bubble type license plate cover:

Took a mold of it in two halves...

Painted my project along with the rest of the car

And here it is ready for the road...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
AndrzejM (02-25-2015), Cd (02-26-2015), fusion210 (02-26-2015), mikeyjd (02-26-2015), NickelB NL (02-25-2015), OG VX (02-25-2015), pgfpro (02-26-2015), redneck (02-25-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

This is an electric conversion, so I did not need any air to enter the engine compartment at all. I have tested grill blocks on gasoline powered Metros, and I can assure you that you build something like this for a gasoline powered one, you will need air openings. Another word of caution, I built three inches into the bottom of this bumper for an air dam effect, and this does make it risky when I pull into a steep driveway.
The Following User Says Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
NickelB NL (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Focus - '05 Ford Focus tdci Futura
It looks like you have experiance with it. But how long did it all tale to make? And how did you fastend it to the car

Old 02-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelB NL View Post
It looks like you have experiance with it. But how long did it all tale to make? And how did you fastend it to the car
I molded the original mounting holes in up on the tips, so the top mounts like original. I have a career as a collision tech behind me, so I made the fit a little nicer than factory. I am a little weird about little details. The bottom mounts are all custom, since this transitions into a custom bottom underlay with its own aluminum frame.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
AMAZING! Wow!!!!!

Can you elaborate more on the mold release spray and process? What brand?
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 02-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

05 Prius (wife's) - '05 Toyota Prius package 5
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.32 mpg (US)

Citrus - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)
I would love to come by and meet you /see your work sometime if you wouldn't mind.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
AMAZING! Wow!!!!!

Can you elaborate more on the mold release spray and process? What brand?
Thanks. Here is the mold release that I like to use. I have a variety of different release agents around my shop, but like this stuff the most, especially on that masking tape.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight for life View Post
I would love to come by and meet you /see your work sometime if you wouldn't mind.
Cool! somebody else in Sac Town! My shop is out in Rancho Cordova. I don't always have all the pretty cars here, so it is hard to see them all at the same time.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I like to build all kinds of custom cars, but I especially like saving Metro from the crusher. I really like the efficiency of these little cars, so I use them as a foundation for something a little nicer. This is what happens to Metros after they are dead and I tow them into my shop

Old 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Only the 10th post, and I already love this thread!

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Reply  Post New Thread