EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Camry hybrid selling at record pace (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/camry-hybrid-selling-record-pace-2092.html)

SVOboy 04-30-2008 11:40 PM

Camry hybrid selling at record pace

ABG!

Quote:

Toyota's Camry Hybrid is selling like crazy these days. Last year, Toyota managed to sell 54,477 Camry Hybrids, an impressive figure no doubt, and sales are showing no signs of slowing down. For example, in the month of March, Toyota set a new record for the hybrid version of the Camry by selling 6,930. For the year, it is on track to sell over 60,000 of its midsize hybrid sedan, a 10 percent increase over the previous year. In fact, the Camry Hybrid, which is EPA rated at 33 miles per gallon city and 34 miles per gallon highway, is easily outselling the 268 horsepower 3.5 liter V6 powered model, which is rated at 19 city and 28 highway. Historically, American buyers have shown a propensity to choose the largest engine available.

When sales of the Prius and the Camry Hybrid are combined, Toyota easily remains the world's leader in hybrid vehicle sales and appears a lock to remain that way, at least for the next few years.

Compaq888 05-01-2008 12:17 AM

why is the highway number so low??? it's a hybrid...should at least get 40mpg on the hwy

hvatum 05-01-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 22573)
why is the highway number so low??? it's a hybrid...should at least get 40mpg on the hwy

2.4 liter engine.

It's much more performance oriented than the prius.

MetroMPG 05-01-2008 11:45 AM

Also, you're used to seeing highway numbers much higher than the city numbers, Compaq, so the relative comparison may be misleading. Maybe a better question would be: why is the city number so high? :)

It's just a matter of time before a plug-in retrofit is available for this car. I'll consider that a significant milestone, because it will essentially be the first "mainstream" family sedan with a plug-in (low/medium speed) electric range in the NA market.

And an interesting comparison to the Canadian market: the Prius has never sold nearly as well here as in the US, but sales of the Camry hybrid here represent "almost 28%" of all Camry sales, a much higher proportion than the US market.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../01/c9342.html

Daox 05-01-2008 12:00 PM

I'm glad to see that they are selling as its a great mpg car for its size. However, when I went to the Milwaukee Auto Show over winter I got to see these two side by side. I gotta say, the Prius had just about every inch of interior space as the Camry, and just about as much cargo space. Now, of course this is all just eyeballing it. But, between the two I'd never take the Camry hybrid. I guess the main perk would be a faster car... woopie.

MetroMPG 05-01-2008 12:16 PM

I agree. I'd pick the Prius in a heartbeat based on those reasons, and because it's a more versatile cargo hauler (not to mention has much better fuel economy potential).

But my sis & bro-in-law bought their Camry hybrid over the Prius because it's got more airbags (and stability control?). Safety was their thing.

Lazarus 05-01-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 22657)

But my sis & bro-in-law bought their Camry hybrid over the Prius because it's got more airbags (and stability control?). Safety was their thing.

How about an update thread on that? I know at one point you were working with them on FE. Is that still a on going event or have they just gone back to driving it? Curious as to there before and after numbers.:)

MetroMPG 05-01-2008 12:57 PM

I'll be seeing them tonight - I'll get some info. But last my brother-in-law reported, it wasn't sounding pretty (bad winter, no block heater).

RH77 05-01-2008 01:29 PM

My cousin went from a V-8 Nissan Titan Crew Cab and previously a BMW X5 to a Camry Hybrid and she loves it. She had a say in the "family vehicle purchase" this time, and it's paying dividends. They live in the Bay Area, where we know traffic stinks.

I haven't heard numbers on it -- I'll have to write to check in :)

RH77

Who 05-01-2008 01:38 PM

One factor in the Canadian marketplace is that a Camry Hybrid and Prius are more or less identical in price - 29K base. The Prius has always been much much more expensive here and in fact has dropped a lot since last year with the exchange corrections that many auto mfrs were finally forced to take.

If I had to choose between them, it would be a very tough choice. The Camry actually fits my long legs far better up front despite the number saying otherwise and the back seat fits 3 far better and has better headroom. However, the Prius has way more utility than the Camry's puny 10 cf trunk and of course it gets significantly better mileage.

I would also think that a Camry would fare better in most types of crashes, but then again it's almost 380mm longer and 100mm wider.