EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Can restricting airflow actually increase mpg (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/can-restricting-airflow-actually-increase-mpg-21997.html)

allenh318 05-21-2012 07:19 PM

Can restricting airflow actually increase mpg

Just had a couple thoughts and am looking for some answers that i am not sure of. If getting more airflow into the intake will increase HP, would restricting airflow decrease the HP of the engine, thus using less fuel to keep the mixture correct? I know the thinking is more HP allows you to keep out of the throttle, but would less hp make your engine act like a smaller engine? The other side of this would less airflow make it run less efficient?

mcrews 05-21-2012 07:22 PM

the simple answer is no.
There have been studies with completely clogged airfilters and the performance is the same as a new filter.

but one of the more 'phD eco-modders' will chime in.

tortoise 05-21-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenh318 (Post 308353)
Just had a couple thoughts and am looking for some answers that i am not sure of. If getting more airflow into the intake will increase HP, would restricting airflow decrease the HP of the engine, thus using less fuel to keep the mixture correct?

Closing the throttle (letting off the gas pedal) will restrict airflow and use less fuel. Also, you'll go slower.

GRU 05-21-2012 08:33 PM

the only way it would help to restrict the engine is if the driver is the type that drives and acceleartes too fast (using up too much fuel) so if you restrict the engine it would force the driver to drive slower.

tortoise 05-21-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 308355)
There have been studies with completely clogged airfilters and the performance is the same as a new filter.

I kinda think maybe a completely clogged airfilter would give no performance. (But then, I don't have a phD.)

mcrews 05-21-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoise (Post 308370)
I kinda think maybe a completely clogged airfilter would give no performance. (But then, I don't have a phD.)

yeah, probably a bad choice of word.

ksa8907 05-21-2012 10:32 PM

on modern fuel injection systems, air filters don't directly affect mileage. the engine will keep the mixture at the programmed ratio regardless of the filter, but a clogged filter will decrease power thus forcing the driver to push the pedal harder to get the same power.

air filter relates to performance and fuel economy is a side effect.

gone-ot 05-21-2012 11:09 PM

phD = "piled higher & Deeper"

drmiller100 05-21-2012 11:41 PM

it takes X horsepower to go a certain speed, or accelerate at a certain rate.

If the air filter is clean and flowing well, the restirction is the throttle, which uses horsepower. If the air filter is mostly plugged, and a huge restriction, then the restriction is the filter AND the throttle, which takes the EXACT same amount of horsepower.

mwebb 05-21-2012 11:45 PM

maybe

not by restricting flow
but
possibly by taking the incoming air charge from an area of lower pressure,
like from behind a tire or from behind the car

the difference in pressure would be so small , the gains if any would be difficult to measure .

restricting flow can reduce maximum available power output but can not change FE Unless the system is carburated

2x as per the EPA (which never lies or fibs) and IATn which is more accurate and subject to a demand / need to prove test results .