Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2023, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How can I use Apple voice recognition for good?

I discovered Otter, a dictation app, when I finished my Bachelor's in 2014, and until I can finally get reevaluated for ADHD, I need all the help that I can get.

Otter isn't necessarily considered the best, and if you pay, you still quickly run out of time.

I couldn't find any information, but apparently you need to pay more for something like attending school full-time.

If you used this for a full-time job I believe that you would need to pay for the double-plus-good version, and I don't even want to know how much that would cost.

Apple's voice recognition is considered among the best, if not the best, and it comes free on all Apple products--except apparently mine is too old.

I think that my iPad has 12.5.7 and I cannot figure out how to turn it on.

Mom says that I can try to get it to work on the iPhone or one of the iPads that I bought her.

Can I buy a refurbished iPhone and have it dictate to iWork and if so, how new would the iPhone need to be?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2023, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
https://support.apple.com › en-us › HT210417
Use Voice Control on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
How to turn on Voice Control. Go to Settings and select Accessibility. Select Voice Control, then select Set up Voice Control. A download will begin in the background. When the download is complete, a microphone will appear in the status bar of your device that indicates that Voice Control is listening or not listening.
Why not step up and get a real computer? I like the Mini -- no camera or microphone unless one is plugged in.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I tried to force myself to use Siri, and gave up. It's been a few years so maybe I should try it again. At the time, I feel like it would get maybe 10% of my dictation wrong.

All that said, I can type at least as fast as I can think. If I'm not thinking, I can type much faster. The correct tool for efficiently writing is a keyboard.

Tell me more about that diagnosis, as that's something I've been threatening to address too. I'm quite pessimistic much can be done, as fundamentally rewiring a 40 year old brain is no simple matter, but perhaps there are strategies to leverage the positive aspects of my attention.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 08-09-2023, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Diagnosis??

Hero-dosing LSD will re-jigger the wires.

I misunderstood the question -- not voice recognition but speech-to-text.
Quote:
https://support.apple.com › guide › iphone › dictate-text-iph2c0651d2 › ios
Dictate text on iPhone - Apple Support
Go to Settings > General > Keyboard. Turn on Enable Dictation. Dictate text Tap to place the insertion point where you want to insert text. Tap on the onscreen keyboard or in any text field where it appears (as in Messages, for example). Then speak. If you don't see , make sure Dictation is turned on.
IIRC (on my M1 Mini) there is a download so it can work offline.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why not step up and get a real computer? I like the Mini -- no camera or microphone unless one is plugged in.
Yes, let me bring in a mini each day to record lectures.

I will plug a big and fancy microphone into it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I tried to force myself to use Siri, and gave up. It's been a few years so maybe I should try it again. At the time, I feel like it would get maybe 10% of my dictation wrong.
I have been amazed when my sister does text-to-speak with her iPhone. It gets a few things wrong, but she can tell it to correct it, and then tell it to send.

I dictate on my Samsung and it is hit-or-miss.

I feel that it is more distracting than texting and I am unsure that I can currently have it read my messages out loud, but maybe I finally made that work.

The last few times I tried it said it didn't have permission.

I said "I give you permission!"

Of course, it wasn't that easy.

If I told it to correct anything it would write out my instructions.

It usually writes out the specified punctuation instead of actually inserting it.
Quote:
All that said, I can type at least as fast as I can think. If I'm not thinking, I can type much faster. The correct tool for efficiently writing is a keyboard.
When I bought my first laptop, two professors told me to put it away, and in 2006 I was just writing notes.

One professor ranted about politics that had nothing to do with Mexican literature from the 1900s, so I typed up the materials she gave us, which were scans of stories that had been photocopied far too many times.

However, I brought my laptop to physics, and immediately gave up.

A notepad and pencil were the correct tools.
Quote:
Tell me more about that diagnosis, as that's something I've been threatening to address too. I'm quite pessimistic much can be done, as fundamentally rewiring a 40 year old brain is no simple matter, but perhaps there are strategies to leverage the positive aspects of my attention.
Drugs.

Everyone told me [condescendingly]"They don't accommodate for ADHD in grad school! They don't provide notetakers!"
Their website says they totally accommodate, including providing notetakers, I just need a current evaluation.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Yes, let me bring in a mini each day to record lectures.
You don't record lectures, you read the text while they drone on in class.

Quote:

I said "I give you permission!"
100% of my dictation ends in me cursing Siri out for being less than useless.

Quote:
One professor ranted about politics that had nothing to do with Mexican literature from the 1900s,
...which is why you read the text, the material that was edited many times to be as good as it can become, vs someone talking. I don't understand the purpose of a person talking in a classroom of many people, to the dumbest one there.

Quote:
A notepad and pencil were the correct tools.Drugs.
I can't read my own writing. I have to ask my professor what I wrote.

Quote:
They don't provide notetakers!
What's a notetaker? Professors should have a link to their slide-deck online. If you're taking notes, you're not listening. If you're listening, you're not reading the text.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 08-09-2023, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

Once I had a diagnosis, ASU gave me a notetaker, but there were always things the professor said in class that wasn't in the provided notes or in the textbook, but were on the test.

Slides are merely an outline.

Everyone hates my handwriting and I exasperatedly ask "Why did you refuse to let me do this electronically?!"
"Just write slower!"
"Do you see how slow I am writing?!"

I have never asked someone what I wrote, but my then best friend, who had always been a big sci fi reader, became interested in fantasy, and when I met a lady who was a big fantasy fan, he asked me to ask her for recommendations.

I recorded a voice memo, listened to it once in Bookman's, and said "I'm sorry, I don't have any idea what I said."
"I have experience listening to you."
He understood everything!

I have had hand and wrist problems since I graduated from high school and it was so bad when I started college that all that I did each morning was get dressed and use my computer with a long-handled wooden spoon in my mouth.

I paid $500 to upgrade my computer to run Dragon Naturally Speaking and my sister came over one day and asked "Why don't you just enunciate?!"

I try, boy do I try, and as a speech therapist, it is infuriating that I mumble and stutter.

I'm trying, I'm trying!
Old 08-14-2023, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You don't record lectures, you read the text while they drone on in class.
You read the text BEFORE class. In class you listen to the professor to see if they answer any questions you had from reading ahead of time and to see what part of the text they care about. That is what you take notes about. If they don't answer your questions in the lecture you ask them either in class or during office hours. Then you review the text and your notes again

Attending school full time is a full time job - full time grad school is a 50 - 60 hour a week job. Most of the work happens outside of class not the 12 - 15 hours a week spent in class.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I try, boy do I try, and as a speech therapist, it is infuriating that I mumble and stutter.
This adds a whole new dimension to the story. Physician heal thine own eye with a log in it.