EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Can't shake the low 20's (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cant-shake-low-20s-356.html)

popimp 12-19-2007 08:33 PM

Can't shake the low 20's

I can't seem to shake out of the low 20's in the Strawberry. Although I know I've improved I just can't get higher. My 90 day average is 23.79mpg, and my last 2 fills were 21.99 and 22.79. I was thinking about getting a block heater. Are these hard to install?

SVOboy 12-19-2007 08:35 PM

The block heater install tends to depend on the car, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I think the cold might just be getting to you. Ever though of trading in for a station wagon?

MetroMPG 12-19-2007 08:39 PM

popimp - where do you live, and how long is a typical trip in the car?

If the answers are "somewhere cold" and "short", then a block heater would be worthwhile. You'll need something that packs a punch though - no wimpy 300w units.

I've installed a few and they vary from intermediate to difficult, depending on the type you get. (The best ones warm the coolant directly - vs. bolt-on or magnetic radiant heaters.)

popimp 12-19-2007 09:08 PM

I live in Fairfield California. The block heater I was thinking about getting is the OEM type that goes in the freeze plug. I only live .75 miles from work so I walk almost everyday, but when we go shopping we have to take the van. I haven't really thought about trading it in, because you usually lose when you trade in.

popimp 12-19-2007 09:11 PM

I owe about 8K on the van what would you recommend to trade it in for? I have two kids and another on the way.

Lazarus 12-19-2007 09:12 PM

Ouch. That is a killer commute. I think the EBH will make a big difference. I was getting almost 10% and that was for a long commute. How's the van doing on the 20w oil?

MetroMPG 12-19-2007 09:14 PM

How long have you been tracking your FE? (I'm wondering if this is a seasonal slump.)

Are you significantly off your peak FE performance?

(PS - I can import your fuel log from the other place, if you'd like.)

MetroMPG 12-19-2007 09:16 PM

And one more question I'll throw at you - how are you doing relative to others with the same vehicle? I know there aren't too many FE forum members driving Strawberries, but if you head over to fueleconomy.gov, you can search to see what "regular people" are getting in similar vans (if not identically spec'd vans).

Lazarus 12-19-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popimp (Post 2591)
I owe about 8K on the van what would you recommend to trade it in for? I have two kids and another on the way.

Congratulations. The van can do fairly well but with that commute it going to be hard to get really good mileage with any car. I've had both a plymouth and a odyessy and was able to get around 27 mpg out of them but that was with a much better commute.

popimp 12-19-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 2592)
Ouch. That is a killer commute. I think the EBH will make a big difference. I was getting almost 10% and that was for a long commute. How's the van doing on the 20w oil?

You're being sarcastic about the killer commute thing right? The 20W oil is fine. The recommended oil is 5W-20 but I use 0W-20. MetroMPG please do the import from you know where.