Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
When laminar-flow sections are tested in wind tunnels, they are very smooth but not necessarily shiny. You can look up the "standard roughness" used to trip the flow into turbulence - I think it is .003" Probably the best thing about waxing is that it removes bugs and slows the re-accumulation.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Honda did release an article last month about how if "...Large vehicle owners wash and wax and keep their vehicles clean they can see an increase of 10%mpg hwy" Of course it said results may vary.

Anybody have this article? I'd love to read it.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 09-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemooer View Post
but the "slickness" to the paint is so microscopic. the small voids that the polish/wax fills can only be seen under a microscope.
Honda did release an article last month about how if "...Large vehicle owners wash and wax and keep their vehicles clean they can see an increase of 10%mpg hwy" Of course it said results may vary. Maybe they should just come out with "aero" packages like Dodge did w/the Daytona Superbird.
Go find a car that hasn't been waxed in 5 years and one that has just been waxed that day and try to slide a cloth across the paint of both and see what the results are. The cloth on the one that hasn't been waxed probably won't slide at all and the cloth will probably slide onto the ground on the one that has just been waxed. Rain X does the same thing to the glass that wax does to the paint.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
Go find a car that hasn't been waxed in 5 years and one that has just been waxed that day and try to slide a cloth across the paint of both and see what the results are. The cloth on the one that hasn't been waxed probably won't slide at all and the cloth will probably slide onto the ground on the one that has just been waxed. Rain X does the same thing to the glass that wax does to the paint.
True and true!

I bought my first Honda CiViC brand new, off the showroom floor. The dealer offered a *free* lifetime guarantee on the factory paint job, if you let them reapply the Poly-Razzmatazz Coating every 6 months (which they reapplied for *free* BTW).

Dude, that stuff was sooo slick, I couldn't keep the car cover from blowing off my ride for weeks afterwards!

And, Rain-X is miraculous too! Not only does it repel raindrops, but snow bounces off your windshield when you're driving - looks like HyperDrive in Star Wars!

Last edited by BlackDeuceCoupe; 09-21-2008 at 04:29 AM..
Old 09-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
Exclamation

Guys, there was a thread here not long ago where an aeronautical engineer weighed in. Basically, there are two forms of drag (I forget the terminology) and the drag associated with smooth, slippery surfaces doesn't come into play until you are travelling hundreds of miles per hour (aircraft speeds).

I love to wax my car to prevent the paint from drying out and or losing its color (and I love Rain-X, too ... been using it since 1985) but there is no efficiency issue with the condition of the surfaces of our cars (which is why Basjoos' FrankenCivic works so well despite it's rough fit and finish.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Recycling Nazi

Arrow

Here is one thread that talks about drag caused by the condition of the surface ... but it's not the one I was thinking of.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...face-2527.html
Old 09-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bror Jace View Post
Guys, there was a thread here not long ago where an aeronautical engineer weighed in. Basically, there are two forms of drag (I forget the terminology) and the drag associated with smooth, slippery surfaces doesn't come into play until you are travelling hundreds of miles per hour (aircraft speeds).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bror Jace View Post
Here is one thread that talks about drag caused by the condition of the surface ... but it's not the one I was thinking of.
Good point!

If a shiny, clean car DOES get better FE, it would only be the case at highway speeds!

A little dust on the surface would not have any measurable effect on the MPG, but if there are sizable clumps of dirt on your car that significantly alters the air flow along its surface, then it WOULD reduce your gas mileage.

Wax, et al, and Rain-X can only improve matters...
Old 09-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Recycling Nazi

Arrow

True BDC, it can't hurt.

But the poster in the thread from several weeks ago was pretty clear that even most race cars would not benefit from a waxed surface versus one that was rough and pitted.

I asked him if he could tell me the speed at which drag from the condition of the exposed surfaces would come into play and he said it wasn't quite that simple ... actually depended on a number of factors. I came away thinking of speeds in excess of 200mph.

I looked for the thread for about 20 minutes ... but I just can't think of his name nor any key terms used in the thread.