Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Carpentry side hustle?

I keep seeing people sharing easy things that they made that consistently made them money. First was this video:
He made a blanket ladder--a ladder for blankets. I had only heard of them the week before and I was just as confused that they exist.

I was looking into making a greenhouse for Mom [which I still need to do] and saw the price difference for 1x2s and furring strips, so I looked into them, and saw people using furring strips for blanket ladders.

Then I looked up blanket ladders.

Apparently this is some Pinterest thing, but the lumber cost him $7 and he has sold many for $50 each.

I really do not understand that, but I will tell you what, you pay me $40 an hour and I won't judge you.

The top comment is that someone made hanging shelves for $8, sold them for $45-60, and now he makes large items full-time, booked a month out.

These things:

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-t...5fab90dccb2af7

I do not understand why those exist, either.

Someone please explain why Home Depot says this will take 2-4 hours. Is it that difficult to get each knot just right? Am I crazy for thinking "Just staple it and put a decorative knot!"?

I finally watched this video that Facebook recommended several times:
  1. Stove covers, for people who use their counters much more than their stove.
  2. End tables
  3. Coffee tables
  4. Console tables or television stands
  5. Indoor dog kennel
A house recently came on the market with two dogs in a wood and rebar kennel under the television.

I had not seen that before and Mom and I weren't impressed.

I posted this elsewhere, but I spent last weekend designing a wheelchair ramp for a friend of Mom that has cancer and can't climb the steps into her house. Unfortunately, she was hospitalized before I could actually start the project. freebeard asked what my backup plan for the materials was and I responded that I just hoped that she got better and I could do the project, but I have been trying to come up with a plan B. I could just return it, but I already picked it out, I want to put it to good use.

One thing is that I do not have any idea what to do with those concrete footers except for a deck or shed [although arguably pouring concrete would be better]. I have long discussed putting in another shed so we could stop paying storage fees every month, so I could finally do that, but if I end up buying more tools, and I need to store stuff that I made while trying to sell it...

People said that I could find someone else needing a ramp, but I wanted to figure out what I was doing before asking around.

Then I would need to get permits, do things technically correctly, etc.

People also recommended building a workbench, which is funny, because reddit recommended this post: https://imgur.com/a/84epk6l

When TPgate started this government employee lost his consistent overtime, saw a post about a workbench sold for profit, loaded up his old hatchback with lumber, and made one to kill time. He profited $6,100 in 3.5 months and is done dealing with Internet weirdos, but he did not raise his prices to keep up with the cost of lumber, and it seemed like everyone on reddit insulted him for charging so little. They claimed that he made himself a wage slave and made less than the minimum wage when he earned $30 an hour.

He would buy materials for multiple benches and make them ahead of time.

Would I just store benches in the yard?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	how-to-make-a-hanging-rope-shelf-hero.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	29330   Click image for larger version

Name:	b3B0kZB.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	29331  
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
Yes the knots are picky as to location
Old 10-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Do it. Being a carpenter does require quite a few tools.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts

This is incomplete! it needs to be gathered to a second hanger at the bottom. I gave up trying to find a picture of Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion table and shelves to demonstrate this. But I did find a Tensegrity table:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ef/ee/34/e...ter-fuller.jpg

I've been trying to hatch a plot with conspirators, but it looks like I'll have to do it all myself.

https://www.maslowcnc.com/

Quote:
Maslow is a community driven open source project with the goal of making large format CNC technology available to everyone. We believe in a world where people everywhere can collaborate, share, and build amazing things together.
Alone again, naturally. But I've got the router [minus a chuck] and two bricks. The kit is $410. Instead of building a frame, I can just put it on the West wall of my shed.

The big problem is co$t of raw materials. But stitch and glue kayaks and boat tails. With a triangular router bit, I could make geodesic dome panels.

In a previous era, I made 35ft of workbench in 5 or 7 pieces.

edit: Second place goes to a laser paper cutter. Just as useful, just on a smaller scale. Here's an Instructable on making one out of household refuse.

www.instructables.com: Mini CNC Laser Wood Engraver and Laser Paper Cutter.

Last edited by freebeard; 10-14-2020 at 04:50 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread