Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
The PRC.

Do cats not need a certain amount of unburnt fuel in the exhaust to work properly ? And therefore a richer than otherwise needed mix ?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofuball View Post
Creating and operating the new cat probably causes fat more pollution then the cat will ever clean up in its entire service life.
Unlikely. Here's why:
1.) catalytic converters are made from small amounts of mostly recycled materials (a few pounds of steel and minute amounts of precious metals on an inert ceramic substrate);
2.) they scrub tens of thousands of pounds of exhaust over their useful life, and;
3.) they get recycled when they're worn out. (With platinum at over $700/oz, not much of it goes into the landfill.)

Now, the question of building a whole new car vs. maintaining an old one, that's probably a different story.

I can tell you from personal experience that the respiratory impact of a single vehicle with a missing or non-functional catalytic converter can be significant. I lived not far from a platinum/palladium mine. The air quality at the edge of the mine property was never as bad as the air quality behind the old Subaru I followed on my way to work this morning.

From another site:
Quote:
I like catalytic converters. They minimize the offensive odors of my car's gaseous expulsions. I wish I could put one on some people.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Johnny 5 - '81 Honda Cm400e
90 day: 42.86 mpg (US)

Da bike - '06 Honda Shadow Vlx deluxe
90 day: 59.47 mpg (US)
I say run a pipe though the hollowed cat and weld it on place.
So there is not a wide area for the exhaust to cool to much and kill the scavenging effect. I saw a difference in sound and power when i went from. Hollowed cat to a test pipe.

Ran that set up for over 6 years. When Toyota bight back the truck last year it still had it on it.

My current daily does not have a cat either just a pipe.