Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I'm not buying the duct idea but anyone can feel free to test it out, or find existing research that may have tested it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I haven't found an example where it has been tried with the purpose of reducing drag, so the results don't really apply (they didn't measure what I needed measured... at least that I could find publicly).

If I'm right, though, it might be a moot point. It would be a pretty involved install (cutting a big hole in the firewall and other obstructions, making it water-tight, keeping the ducting out of the way, etc.).

man I wish I had access to a wind tunnel...

I just might have to build one of these (low-speed wind tunnel, courtesy of NASA)... I checked it out and I have everything except the plexiglass and fan... and I can just adapt a computer power supply and computer fans to go in place of that... hmmm...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
NASA is tearing the wind tunnels down at Langley AFB. Been there since it was NACA.

regards
Mech
Old 04-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Hvac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I haven't found an example where it has been tried with the purpose of reducing drag, so the results don't really apply (they didn't measure what I needed measured... at least that I could find publicly).

If I'm right, though, it might be a moot point. It would be a pretty involved install (cutting a big hole in the firewall and other obstructions, making it water-tight, keeping the ducting out of the way, etc.).

man I wish I had access to a wind tunnel...

I just might have to build one of these (low-speed wind tunnel, courtesy of NASA)... I checked it out and I have everything except the plexiglass and fan... and I can just adapt a computer power supply and computer fans to go in place of that... hmmm...
Since you've done HVAC work,let me throw some at you in HVAC terms:
* At 60 mph,a vehicle of 22 sq-ft frontal area( typical mid-size car ) is displacing 116,160 cubic feet per mile,or,116,160 cfm.
* From your ASHRAE Manual it should indicate that to avoid unacceptable duct friction losses for the 'air handler' velocities should be kept below 1,200 fpm.
* If you were to shunt all the vehicles air through your duct at 1,200 fpm it would require a throat size of 96.8 sq-ft,or 9.838 on a side for a square duct or 11.1 ft dia. round duct.This is obviously larger than the vehicle itself.
* If you make the duct smaller to accommodate seats,passengers,engine,powertrain,etc.,the duct losses would be larger.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
Tubular bullets twice tested , twice failed

the military had a similar idea
Tubular bullets
they did extensive testing many years separated the testing events , both sets of tests showed that the tubular bullets did not reduce drag

from the spitzer boat tail shape

which is the shape of bullet with the least amount of drag as proven in the real world more times than can be counted .
which contradicts all of the thoughts on aerodynamics regarding the front of a car in this forum .

however a bullet spinning at 100k rpm traveling at faster than the speed of sound
is not a car .
none the less
there are no round nose boat tail bullets
and the round nose flat base bullets have terrible ballistic coefficients compared to
spitzer (pointed) boat tail bullets

just a thought
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Laura the Lancer - '81 Mitsibishi lancer LX
im curious about this test but would love to see a-b-a testing to see if it is plausable.

will keep an eye on this
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bigred - '89 Honda Civic Hatchback
it may seem a little more outlandish then gasman but the idea that came to my mind was to create a hole in the firewall lets say of 6 inch diameter and run no duct while in cab. with an 8in diameter hole at the tail of the car attached to a 500cfm inline booster fan. yes the car would be a wind tunnel and it has flaws with water but could this push the duct drag to the side and actually make some gains? or does this make the entire inside of the cab part of the frontal drag?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Nothing in this article about the holes "in-flight", but an interesting design.

"Holey" bullets claimed to go faster
Quote:
At the same time, the gases shooting out of the vents are also said to create a rocket-like effect, increasing the bullet's velocity. All of you physicists are welcome to weigh in on this one, but it's hard to say if gases exiting the sides of a bullet would really cause it to travel any faster than gases that were limited to pushing on it from behind.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Reply  Post New Thread