Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
what bike ?

Hello everyone,

I have not been posting for while 'cos I have been abroad then got my car broken (that is before I got a chnace to fill my scond tank after I joined this forum !) then getting hold of the new car (a little worse in fuel consumption despite 6th gear and VNT turbo ...).

Anyway, I will now get to work using a motorbike and am wondering wich to choose.

My current one :
Suzuki Freewind fitted with 10.3 CR piston, open exhaust and 14*43 instead of 15*43 sprocket.
It averages in the 45 mpg driving rather joyfully
But it does have a few issues in the quest for more mpg :
it displaces 0.65 liter
it has plenty of power, is short stroke, rev-happy ant the exhaust sound appeals to provocation from other riders (and who is provocating is to be corrected) => it doesn't help me to drive efficiently (mpg speaking)

Two options :
Honda VTE 500 (same as ascott)
+)
shaft drive (optimum maintenance), 6 speed, less displacement, V twin so can stand driving in higher gear at a given speed than a single, lower so better Cd potential
-)
shaft drive so no alteration of the gear ratio except from tyre height, outdated chassis, identical power potential at higher RPM (more friction)

Honda FT 500
+)
chain and sprocket so gear ratio tuneability, much less HP, lower than the freewind (CD potential), will not respond well to driving like a maniac
-)
8.6 compression ratio, no fairing ...

Regarding difference in gas cost (my car is diesel) and consumption, I will have to take the bike as low as 54 mpg to equate the price of the trip in my car

What do you reckon ?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

your choice

What bike...I've been riding for about 30 years now. The choice is up to you. Almost any motorcycle will get much better gas mileage than the average car. Even big Harleys are getting 35 or 40 mpg's, and UJM's are almost always better than that. My old Honda CB360 gets around 60-75 mpg, but looking after it is the best thing for mpg's. There are a couple of small scoots that get over 100 now. They look interesting, but obviously no good for highways, just round the corner trips. The 500 Ascot you mention is probably a good bet. I don't know what mpg it gets specifically, but you can't go wrong with a Honda, and 500 cc's is about mid range for mpg's. There's a few that you might not have thought about. Enfield makes a classy ride now, with fuel injection and claims to get 75 mpg! Anyway, your choice, all better mpg's than a car, but be careful out there.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Thanks for your reply.

There is one more variable that I take into account is price per mile and here the diesel car get an advantage of almost 30% over the gas bike.

As stated, I would need to hit the 70 mpg barrier to make the bike as economical as the car.
Not to mention the bike requires much more maintenance and one that is a fair bit more expensive ...

Anyway, I think the least expensive will be to learn how to drive nice and slow rather than changing bike ...

Reply  Post New Thread