Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That's my option-but i'm just about working against the architecture at this point and will literally need to tear down and rebuild my walls to go further-best power bill this year still $51.00.

I'm seriously considering selling my house and downsizing to a gently used RV, investing in eco-enhancements and running the whole shebang off of solar panels, some deep-cycle batteries and an inverter. Of course, then you have to worry about water and waste disposal so I STILL wouldn't be completely off grid, and certain zoning laws limit where I can roost...

The truly sad thing is, I have created several small house designs of 500-600 square footage (one of hardwood pallets and one from shipping containers) that would be easy as pie to build and set up for off-grid cheaper than modifying an existing structure...battery powered with a rain catchment system,gravity fed water and composting toilet, hire contractors to build the foundations to code for $4000-5000, finish by hand with friends and family for total of under $17,000. So naturally local laws demand minimum square footage, multiple inspections at every step of the way(and no obligation to tell you WHY you failed an inspection for easy correction) and other protectivist legislation that would push the cost up to $75,000+

The other solution would be to build a Park model RV from scratch(with built-in rain catchment and storage with Composting toilet and waste storage bin)and then purchase a permanent lot for it-NC does not allow construction of an RV without an HOV permit of course-and only an RV manufacturer can grant one...sigh.

I'm just going to have to face the fact that my local government will do anything in its power to keep me from independence from the local infrastructure-the county has already placed a moratorium on allowing well-drilling permits and is discussing forcing well owners to fill existing wells and subscribe to that treated, fluoridated recycled sewage they call water in order to fatten their wallets.

I swear, if I could work my way around the waste disposal issue and have enough room for gardens I would build a houseboat-and no, I won't dump it overboard...Hmm, could a netted-in area work for floating hydroponics in a freshwater/river environment ? Maybe float a compost cargo pod in back? Needs further investigation...

Last edited by order99; 12-31-2012 at 03:40 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
I don't think the device would work. I believe the thermal losses in pipe would be too great and for this contraption to generate enough electricity, it must be pretty big.
Steam pipes are under high pressure and can explode causing much harm.

My thought for you.
Try making exercise equipment that generates electricity. A bike where the wheel is connected to an alternator or 2 or 3.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Not Ordinary Engineering

Quote:
Try making exercise equipment that generates electricity. A bike where the wheel is connected to an alternator or 2 or 3.
I did this in school. You can push about 70 watts consistently but don't think you're going to watch the Superbowl without inviting Lance Armstrong to keep the wheels spinning.

Reply  Post New Thread