Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
As much as I love the cruze for outdoing the volt at its own game (IMVHO) I'm surprised the US cruze needs all those factory installed ecomods to get near the TDi (and not our best one at that) more worryingly is the city/hwy values for the Jetta, is it carrying a trunk full of bricks?!!!

I wish there was a world emissions standard based on Euro5 regs. you'd get the 1.6 gas/M5 cruze base we have that pretty much matches your ECO!

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by robchalmers View Post
As much as I love the cruze for outdoing the volt at its own game (IMVHO) I'm surprised the US cruze needs all those factory installed ecomods to get near the TDi (and not our best one at that) more worryingly is the city/hwy values for the Jetta, is it carrying a trunk full of bricks?!!!

I wish there was a world emissions standard based on Euro5 regs. you'd get the 1.6 gas/M5 cruze base we have that pretty much matches your ECO!
What really needs to happen is a mythbusters style program that shows the truth about emissions production between US and World market cars. I'm tired of hearing the same song and dance.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Diesel
I hope it turns out that few more of our cars could be sold over there. I mean we've got the Skoda Fabia wagon that'll do 90+mpg (uk) from the factory! surely there would be some takers for a load lugger that could pop-out that kind of mileage stateside! or the previous generation Focus Econetic station wagon diesel that pushes up to the 80mpg region (uk mpg again).

a MB special on whats cleaner/healthier would be great.

plus before i get shot down as diesel only - my previous post mentions the cruz's uk version, there are so many gas powered Rest.of.world cars that can top what the US cars get when measured 'in the field' but using the same engine its bizarre.

I mean the saturn astra is built in the same factory (where I used to work) in Ellesmere Port as the Euros and yet the 2.0l seems hamstrung as soon as they cross the pond!

fingers crossed Chrsyler sell the twin air Fiat 500!

twitter.com/bertchalmers

Last edited by robchalmers; 05-10-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...between the two, I'd say the issue of Gasoline versus Diesel is the decision point.

...with Gasoline (currently) less costly than Diesel, I'd still lean toward a TDi with manual transmission over a Gasoline-powered Cruse Eco...especially if that Eco had A6 instead of M6 transmission.

...just my opinion (and we all know what opinions are worth).
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
FumeSniffer

FumeSniffer - '96 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 46.19 mpg (US)

Big Gulp - '06 International 8600-375 Twin Turbo
90 day: 7.15 mpg (US)
I also dabble on the TDI club forums. After break in for a few thousand miles, most 09 and newer Jettas are claiming 45-60 miles per gallon under mild driving habits. A new TDI with a few options is going to run darn near $28,000 if my memory serves me well. They just don't lose value used either. I'm torn between a 06 Jetta(100k miles) 09 Civic with about 15000 miles for the same price.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by robchalmers View Post
I hope it turns out that few more of our cars could be sold over there. I mean we've got the Skoda Fabia wagon that'll do 90+mpg (uk) from the factory! surely there would be some takers for a load lugger that could pop-out that kind of mileage stateside! or the previous generation Focus Econetic station wagon diesel that pushes up to the 80mpg region (uk mpg again).

a MB special on whats cleaner/healthier would be great.

plus before i get shot down as diesel only - my previous post mentions the cruz's uk version, there are so many gas powered Rest.of.world cars that can top what the US cars get when measured 'in the field' but using the same engine its bizarre.

I mean the saturn astra is built in the same factory (where I used to work) in Ellesmere Port as the Euros and yet the 2.0l seems hamstrung as soon as they cross the pond!

fingers crossed Chrsyler sell the twin air Fiat 500!
Why, RC, WHY?! Why dost thou insist upon this excessive automotive torture?! For God's sake, man; think of the children!

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a Cruze Eco with Manual trans. They are lighter than the other cars also. I am slightly over 40mpg lifetime. I am a Hunter Engineering HD sales rep and cover 5 states in the midwest. Best tank was when the car was 5 days old. Drove from Louisville to KC and got 44.2mpg driving the speed limit with cruise set. Some of the lower lifetime mpg is due to making frequent short trips in town.

If you drive 65 with the cruise, you will get 44-46mpg pretty easy. Drive 55 and you will get up to 50mpg.

So far, I'm just running about 38psi in tires with no other mods. Going up to 40psi to see if it helps any. There isn't really any "low hanging fruit" on these cars as far as aero mods go. GM pretty much did them all. I may lower it another .5" to see if that helps any and check for a rear under tray.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...check that your front "chin" air dam is firmly seated/connected, as they apparently have a habit of (a) being incorrectly installed (it's done after the car reaches the dealership) or (b) coming "loose" rather easily when striking curbs, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
buttercupairplane (03-06-2012)
Old 05-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Yes, the Fabia is a dream over here. Well mine at least.

As usual, this side of the pond can't allign with the rest of the worlds emmissions standards but he's the usual "We know better than you" attitude.

RC, how is biodiesel production doing on your side of the pond ?
From an ecological standpoint, it puts the petrol/diesel discussion in a completely different light.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Diesel
In the continent there is more BD being sold , there plebnty being produced but its rare that you see it being sold over here.... even though tax on it is almost non-existent

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Reply  Post New Thread