Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If I was to build my own hypermiler ?

Hi all

I have the urge to build my own hypermiler.

I could get away with 2 seats + 8 bags of shopping.
Three wheels will be fine.
2 cyl 602 cc 2CV engine/chassis is very light and economic. 45pmg urban 55 mpg highway

Like this but I don't have the skill to deal with the curves !

Tryane II

The body will be built from plywood using epoxy boat building methods so ideally the shape must be easily rendered from flat sheets [ few/no compound curves ! ]

So currently I am in the thinking/planning stage.

I need a body shape and 2 have caught my eye.

Welcome to VIGILLANTE'S Page 2

Now this is the shape I love but it has several disadvantages there is little internal space for luggage/spare wheel/fuel tank etc , as there is no room in front of the front wheel.

Aerodynamically it could do with the front wheel fairing in , maybe by making it wider , and of course it is not a teardrop shape ?
Any other areas need improving ?

This is shape 2

The VORTEX plans page

It is better than the TriMagnum as it has room infront of the wheels , where I want to put the engine/gearbox , and it is nearer a teardrop shape.

Aerodynamically it could do with the front wheels fairing in , maybe by making it wider , and of course it is a teardrop shape.
Any other areas need improving ?

regards Paul

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
How about this? VW Goldwing combination. I think though I would have gotten rid of the rear fenders.

BugWing

Old 07-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
hypermiler

you might want to set your sites a little higher,as my CRX already has performance within your target envelope.And you can just buy them,nothing to construct!For all your trouble you better end up with something really significant.I'd look around some more.If you're locked in to just the two candidates,I'd favor the VORTEX.I think the aero is better and I think it has a better safety cage potential.Probably better utility as a "grocery-getter."Fuel Vapor's Ale,and John Q. Riley's new 3-wheelers are worth a look.Sylph's a beauty,but maybe less cargo space than you'd like.Wear yourself out investigating! You won't want to regret your choice,for all the work your going to be getting yourself into.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
aerohead -

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
you might want to set your sites a little higher,as my CRX already has performance within your target envelope.And you can just buy them,nothing to construct!For all your trouble you better end up with something really significant.I'd look around some more.If you're locked in to just the two candidates,I'd favor the VORTEX.I think the aero is better and I think it has a better safety cage potential.Probably better utility as a "grocery-getter."Fuel Vapor's Ale,and John Q. Riley's new 3-wheelers are worth a look.Sylph's a beauty,but maybe less cargo space than you'd like.Wear yourself out investigating! You won't want to regret your choice,for all the work your going to be getting yourself into.
That's what I thought when I was looking at this picture :

The seats are sunken in and look like you could put a beefy bit of frame there.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbird View Post
...but I don't have the skill to deal with the curves !
You could have a look at this Facetmobile Home Page for inspiration.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
I've been thinking on this topic, of building a 3 wheel commuter, for some time. From what I've researched, and with what I would want to accomplish, a reverse trike (aka 'tadpole'-2 wheels forward, one behind) design would be what I would build. I'd use a Geo Metro 1.0 L drivetrain up front and a welded tube chassis. Tandem seats.
Fiberglass body that would have a Cd of ZERO!
Bam, 100 MPG.

It would somewhat resemble a cross between VW's concept and the Vortex.
I think a welded tube chassis would be a lot lighter than all that plywood in the Vortex.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aerohead

The base vehical is 45-55mpg my target is the Tryane 11

Fuel Consumption : 55-70 mpg
TOP SPEED (approx): l00 mph

Can your CRX match that ?

Also I want to be SEEN !!!!

CFG83 I am also concerned about safety and agree about the safety aspect of the Vortex.

' It would somewhat resemble a cross between VW's concept and the Vortex.
I think a welded tube chassis would be a lot lighter than all that plywood in the Vortex. '

But you would still need to clad it with something and the plywood is very strong for it's weight.

regards Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
target

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbird View Post
Aerohead

The base vehical is 45-55mpg my target is the Tryane 11

Fuel Consumption : 55-70 mpg
TOP SPEED (approx): l00 mph

Can your CRX match that ?

Also I want to be SEEN !!!!

CFG83 I am also concerned about safety and agree about the safety aspect of the Vortex.

' It would somewhat resemble a cross between VW's concept and the Vortex.
I think a welded tube chassis would be a lot lighter than all that plywood in the Vortex. '

But you would still need to clad it with something and the plywood is very strong for it's weight.

regards Paul
Sorry! The CRX did 41-60.6mpg in mixed driving.75.5mpg was it's all-time best.If you can pull a reliable 70mpg on the open road,it would be worth the effort.I've got "mini-hypercar" in the pipeline.It and everthing else is on hold 'til I can dry in more shop space.The mini is a "solo",with leg-straddling VW front end,married to a water-cooled,HONDA Shadow VT700,shaft-drive,via 1-1/2-inch mild-steel safety cage.I've got a Sonnerai aircraft canopy to enclose me.The forward coachwork is most like the Fuel Vapor Ale,with fully-enclosed front wheels and tapering fenders and suspension enclosure.This is for increased visibility and crumple-zone,also low C.G.storage.I considered a tandem,but it's just too long.The narrow canopy helps with the frontal area.I'm trying for Cd0.12,and keep weight such that it can be registered as a motorcycle.There are some shots of it in the phil knox aerodynamic photos album.Not much to look at,just a mule,to work out all the human factors,ingress/egress.I'm going for more than 70-mpg,however,no guarantees.All-compound curves mean perhaps 600-hours just for the body.I've been very inspired by the accomplishments of Doug Malewecki and am saddened that he will not be completing his one-tank-across-America three-wheeler.Super good luck on your project! I hope to jump back in the game,come next winter.Til then,I'll have to live vicariously through you and the other members.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
OMG .. How did I forget about the Beetle. Oh well it's over, the Vibe will have to become my commuter until I Start/finish my new beetle project. I like the Bugwing idea, but since I will be hacking up a bug anyhow, I can invision a more sloped windshield, with an extended rear as it tear drops around the rear motorcycle tire.

For me this is a no brainer, now all I have to do is dust off the rolodex and get a hold of my old VW buddies for a donor car ...

Dam I hate this site ... LOL

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 08-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
For me this is a no brainer, now all I have to do is dust off the rolodex and get a hold of my old VW buddies for a donor car ...
Oh, no you don't! Not until you finish that backwards Porsche!