EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Civic break down (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/civic-break-down-19273.html)

California98Civic 10-24-2011 11:43 AM

Civic break down

Car broke down last night near home. At cold start-up (60*) at the airport it revved unusually high (nearly 2000 rpms for a few seconds before coming down to normal). It ran quite normally for 20 miles, and then a hesitancy in engine response to the throttle returned. Alternator was connected and running. Battery power during EOC would settle between 12.3 and 11.8 volts depending on how long the glide was. A lurching ugly hesitancy emerged before the fail. When it failed it just gurgled itself into a slow die. Even a rolling bump start only acted as breaking. When it briefly sparked up a couple times, it struggled to sustain an idle even though it was already warmed-up. Then it died again for good. All fluids are fine. Car can still shift into gear and be pushed when in neutral or with clutch. Starter runs full tilt. No smell of fuel. No leaking fluids under the car. I was planning to follow advice and buy a pressure gauge today and test the fuel pump. I also am wondering about other parts: electrical components within the distributor? the cambelt? are those credible possibilities?

I'm off to the stores before work, during lunch, and after work... any advice greatly appreciated.

j

PaleMelanesian 10-24-2011 12:13 PM

Bummer! Fuel pump is my first guess.

Daox 10-24-2011 12:39 PM

No engine light?

California98Civic 10-24-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 266974)
No engine light?

The check engine light did not come on.

jakobnev 10-24-2011 01:21 PM

Do you have voltage at the fuel pump while cranking?

Can you read codes from your car?

Does it start again when cold?

hamsterpower 10-24-2011 01:47 PM

My guess is the distributor, specifically the igniter.

California98Civic 10-24-2011 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 266978)
Do you have voltage at the fuel pump while cranking?

Does it start again when cold?

It does not start when cold. I have not tried reading codes from the ECU. I expect I do have voltage while cranking because I can now smell gas inside the car after I try the ignition (but not in engine bay). So I think it is powering, though I know that's not a very good "test". But I'm very interested in what you might be driving at... what are failures you suspect?

[EDIT: I did a test of the fuel pump recommended in the Honda Service Manual. When I turn the key to the run position, I can feel and hear the fuel pump charge-up for 2 seconds then shut off normally.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsterpower (Post 266984)
My guess is the distributor, specifically the igniter.

I found a worker at my Pep Boys who works on these Hondas a lot. He could describe the parts accurately from memory. Thinks my symptoms are more like a failure of the ignition control module in the distributor housing. Is that what you mean?

[EDIT: I solved the following problem by cranking the engine with the starter to turn the rotor until the screw was lined-up.] I am trying to test the ignition control module right now, considering replacing it. But I cannot get to the ignition control module yet. The attached photo is of the distributor with the cap off. You can see the Distributor Rotor. There is a screw to remove this rotor so I can remove the leak cover, but it is obscured by the leak cover right now. How do I turn the rotor (the round black plastic piece in the photo) so that the screw becomes accessible? Do I have to break the leak cover?

California98Civic 10-25-2011 12:56 AM

P1399 (trouble code)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 266978)

Sorry for being novice, but I had to figure out how to use the Ultra Gauge for trouble codes. It lists a "pending" trouble code P1399. The Honda Service Manual does not seem to have a ref for this code. A few online sources say this is an ignition system or misfire code. Seems to suggest the distributor again, not likely the fuel pump, no?

Ladogaboy 10-25-2011 09:05 PM

Bummer. I hope you can get it up and running again soon.

California98Civic 10-25-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 267233)
Bummer. I hope you can get it up and running again soon.

Fuel pump seems to work, at least it gets power to do the normal priming when the key is switched to the "run" position. And I just finished a fuel filter change and replacing the "igniter" a.k.a. the ignition control module a.k.a. the ICM. No dice. No change. Same symptoms. Help.