EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Civic HX, what are the best years? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/civic-hx-what-best-years-4431.html)

skyl4rk 08-08-2008 04:47 PM

Civic HX, what are the best years?

If I want a very efficient Civic, then the HX is the best model, correct?

If so, what are the best years to look for?

Is there a hatchback version?

Thanks

SVOboy 08-08-2008 05:06 PM

Technically, the 88 CRX HF is the best stock (nonhybrid) civic around. But it generally goes like this:

Hybrid > CRX > VX > HX

thebrad 08-08-2008 05:18 PM

CRX was a hatchback in all trims.
Civic VX, offered from 1992-1995, was a hatchback.
Civic HX, offered from 1996-2005, was a coupe.

basjoos 08-08-2008 09:28 PM

Don't forget the 92-95 Honda Civic CX hatchback.

Vince-HX 08-08-2008 10:40 PM

the Hx is the safest one out of the bunch though, it also has the most creature comforts.

The Vx is lighter and a bit harder to find. But from what I have heard from certain inside sources is that its not as aero as a coupe.

gildo4realdo 09-23-2008 10:17 PM

I have an HX

I have an HX and I'm getting 42 mpg (tank averaging) for the last 4 tanks. The thing you want to consider most when looking at what car you want is year and safety and looks. Hybrids are too expensive and I hate the way CRX's look so I knew it was a VX or HX for me (the newer the better cause newer generally = safer and less miles = less problems in the near future)

Then I considered that the 96+ models were the next generation up so probably a little safer with standard airbags and also OBD II. Therefore I started looking for HX's and found one (5 speed). (Although I actually preferred the hatchback VX but there pretty hard to find)

One thing you must know before you dedicate yourself to a model because of fuel gains others seem to be getting is your willingness to change your driving style. I haven't seen anyone getting 40+ out of stock HX's that much and it's pretty much because I have to drive like a grandma (always try to stay below ~2000 rpm and 0-60 is in the 40-60 second range giving light engine load, better FE)

The moral of the story is you can rate cars if you want but it all depends on your discipline/driving style. This is a hard lesson I've learned and hopefully you can learn from me as well. I actually enjoy driving 65 on the interstate now. I used to go 85 but I've found that slowing down has actually calmed me down on the road. I just save my speed kicks for my streetbike now.;)

Is anyone else on ecomodder getting 40+ out of a stock HX? I was going to do a bunch of mods and copy AndrewJ/Basjoos's genius work but that's until I found out I hit my mpg goal with my car stock. (44+ mpg) Of course now I'm carpooling so I get 80+ :D

Vince-HX 09-23-2008 10:36 PM

60+ is possible in a stock Hx

I shift @ 2000-2200 rpm and always accel @ 1-4 inches of vacuum (about 70% throttle). My Hx has a shorter geared Ex tranny and is costing me a few mpg's but my best has been almost 68 mpg :thumbup:

The real fun part is manipulating the throttle to stay in lean cruise.

With vg's, grill block, vx tranny, stock wheels with LRR tires, belly pan, rear skirts, deleted mirrors and wipers, MPGuino, throttle lock cruise control, and lean burn monitor I plan to hit the 70's with ease and maybe squeak into the 80's:turtle:

Geo4k 05-15-2014 08:03 AM

Sorry - searched this thread and thought I'd comment even though its so old.

I have owned my 98 HX and drive it to the job Mon-Fri, 21 miles of city traffic with a few good long 5th gear runs. I have had it for 2 1/2 years, missed a mpg tank or two on my spreadsheet, but in over 25,400 mile charted, I have averaged 41.3x mpg. It had 177,000 miles on it and I am the third owner. Going to tune it soon - not sure when it was last done. Happy eco motoring all -

(Hope this helps someone else "searching" for this topic later...)

MPGomatic 06-06-2014 05:44 PM

I finally snagged a manual '99 HX earlier this spring after months and months of watching Craigslist. Only regret is the lack of cruise control and one slightly wavy quarter panel. I paid $2700. Maybe a bit too much, still it was worth the wait.

It was tough to find a manual that wasn't borked. I would have preferred a 2001+, but I'm happy to have Slambo under the shade tree.

We've been going through it piece-by-piece, slaying dragons and bolting in the good stuff. It rolled into the driveway with a bunch of eBay's finest parts. The fart can was replaced immediately. Did the EGR port clean yesterday and swapped the stock airbox back in, replacing the shiny eBay tube. Fingers crossed, we might be close to the MPG spec. It never felt like it was going into lean burn.

'99 and up can accommodate a double-din head unit.

We popped in a (relatively) inexpensive JVC flat screen with AppLink ... add a $20 OBD WiFi dongle and DashCommand is *on* the dash, at last ... :)

Daox 06-06-2014 05:52 PM

Sounds like a nice build. You should start a thread for the work you've done, and will be doing.