Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

cleanEK - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 44.87 mpg (US)
civic rear wheel

Had my two rear wheels off today and one drum spun real nice, and the other is rubbing about 1/4 maybe even 1/2 of the spin. Might be slowing down my coasting! ill have to put that on my list of things to do in my 100k tune up. Bearing maybe? idk

I did some rust prevention on the rear wheel wells. Have them watertight so no water settling in there to give that nasty honda rust.
Cleaned up the drums too and gave them a nice coat of black high heat paint. Its lookin so CLEAAAN. Front calipers in the morning.

Theres a couple pics of the before and after brakes. Undercoating is done too. I reattached the rubber strip along the arch that protects from rock chips. Put it back on with with silicone, then ran a bead of silocone all along the whole arch. so its water tight. then sprayed the whole wheel well with undercoaing for extra protection.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	civic rusty brakes.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	9102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic brakes.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	9103  

Last edited by 98civicDX; 07-30-2011 at 02:33 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Sounds more like a slightly warped drum, to me. New ones are much cheaper now than in the past and make good insurance for the future. If/when purchasing new, always get the "good" units price as well as the "cheapest", usually, they aren't very far away from each other. Also would be a good time to check out the brake shoes, also(remembering that shoes start out pretty thin to start with).

Preventing rust is easier than repairing it.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 07-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The spot that rust tends to start at is where the rear bumper bolts in to the steel in the wheel well, salt and water sit in that little area and eats that first, so wash that out well and use a rust reformer then paint and heavy undercoating there, rust also starts at the bottom front part of the wheel well because again, salt and water can sit there it's also being flung off the tire and wears the undercoating off.
as for your brake drum not spinning smooth, how did it spin with the wheel still bolted on? the wheel is all that is holding the drums on and they can get cockeyed so it's best just to jack the car up and spin the whole wheel to check the brakes, then pull the wheel and brake drum off and check for wear, make sure that your hand brake is disengaging fully, if it's not then it's most likely the cable, $15 for a new cable if I remember correctly.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

cleanEK - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 44.87 mpg (US)
yeah i can see in the wheel well where that bolt can seem to want to hold moisture. Not anymore though

Reply  Post New Thread