EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Civic VX O2 Sensor Conumdrum (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/civic-vx-o2-sensor-conumdrum-27627.html)

Davo53209@yahoo.com 11-25-2013 02:57 PM

Civic VX O2 Sensor Conumdrum

Okay folks, I'm presently looking for the definitive answer to which type of O2 sensor that I would need to buy to enable lean burn on my 94 Civic Vx. I just recently purchased the vehicle, whereas the NTK O2 sensor that's currently installed is stamped as LZA09-E1. I'm not certain; but I think that this may be the wrong one.

To get right to the point, am I stuck with purchasing the OEM version, or is there a comparable aftermarket sensor that will give me the same result as the factory OEM O2 sensor? If so, who makes it, what's the part number, and where can I find it? Also, it would be great to hear from any member of this forum who can attest to utilizing one.

My car is a stock 94 Civic VX Federal, with the D15Z1 engine and 5-wire O2 sensor. Overall, the car runs fine; but my gas mileage has been lousy.
Thank You.

Superfuelgero 11-25-2013 06:09 PM

That's the same one I run. Its correct, but may be dying. Here's the listing details:
NGK Partfinder for Cars & Light Commercial Vehicles

I'd suggest looking elsewhere for issues.

Davo53209@yahoo.com 11-25-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xntrx (Post 400805)
That's the same one I run. Its correct, but may be dying. Here's the listing details:
NGK Partfinder for Cars & Light Commercial Vehicles

I'd suggest looking elsewhere for issues.

You may very well be right. I've already considered buying OEM plugs, wires, cap & rotor, pcv valve etc. I'm just attempting to do a little forward thinking in the event that a major tune-up doesn't resolve the issue of poor fuel economy. After all, I think that everyone can agree upon starting with the cheapest things first.

I'm presently running in the low 30's, whereas fuel economy has seemed to have dipped in the last two weeks. Tire pressure is even up to 40lbs.

Finally, when I pulled the O2 sensor, it looked very black; but so far, I'm not getting a check engine light.

Ryland 11-25-2013 11:41 PM

It's rare for the o2 sensor to throw a check engine light code, unplugging the o2 sensor is the most common way to test it as most people feel a stumbling with a failed o2 sensor.
Bad exhaust or over sized exhaust is the most common caused of a dead o2 sensor.

jlk16188 11-26-2013 08:54 AM

I bought one off Rockauto.com and its been working great. I dont remember the brand but after next day rush shipping it was $160ish. Ive never had any issues with it and enter and exit lean burn very smoothly

VX Fuego 11-26-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com (Post 400850)

I'm presently running in the low 30's, whereas fuel economy has seemed to have dipped in the last two weeks. Tire pressure is even up to 40lbs.

I'm no master mechanic, but I certainly enjoy trying to tune up my cars for more mpg. I would pull the spark plugs and check the health of things there. Then, I'd look other places.

What kinda mileage on this beast?

Davo53209@yahoo.com 11-26-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 400872)
It's rare for the o2 sensor to throw a check engine light code, unplugging the o2 sensor is the most common way to test it as most people feel a stumbling with a failed o2 sensor.
Bad exhaust or over sized exhaust is the most common caused of a dead o2 sensor.

Hmm, incidentally the car does need a new exhaust. So are you saying that to test the O2 sensor, I must unplug it and see if the car stumbles?

VX Fuego 11-27-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com (Post 400954)
Hmm, incidentally the car does need a new exhaust. So are you saying that to test the O2 sensor, I must unplug it and see if the car stumbles?

Maybe read up on a plugged catalytic converter too. Just an idea.

Davo53209@yahoo.com 11-27-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VX Fuego (Post 401086)
Maybe read up on a plugged catalytic converter too. Just an idea.

I probably should mention that before I bought the car, I'd gotten an independent inspection from a mechanic. Thankfully, there was no mention of a plugged catalytic converter.

But to put things back on track, I'd like to know what aftermarket O2 sensors would work for when the time comes when I actually need one. I understand that the Bosch 13246 sensor is actually stamped as L1H1. Can anyone confirm this fact?

Ryland 11-28-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com (Post 400954)

A bad o2 sensor will make the car stumble, unplug the o2 sensor and it will stop stumbling.