Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Finally Working on the Truck

This weekend I finally started turning wrenches on my geriatric Toyota Truck (that's the model name, according to the owner's manual).

I (or strictly speaking my fiancee) bought the truck in late October of 1987, and it was the last carbureted pickup on the lot. I've taken only middling care of it since then and it's borne up under that indifferent treatment strikingly well. I have a battered journal that lives in the glove compartment recording the truck's first fill up, the date on the first page is November 1, 1987.

The power steering recently started leaking and I decided now was the time to take on a few ecomodding steps. I've been saving up to give the truck a lot of refurbishment work (windshield, maybe a new bed, definitely new paint, etc.) and with the steering pump moaning and whining, I figured I'd take on some under-hood weight and drag reduction too. The truck has managed returns in the high 30s in the past and it's one of my dearest goals to take it all the way to 40+ MPG.

No pics of the actual removal underway, my hands were filthy and I couldn't bring myself to actually touch my phone.

I hope these pictures come out okay, in the album if you click on them they become gigantic.

This is a shot down into the engine bay where the plumbing for the PS used to go. You can see the open ports on top of the steering gear. There's an awful lot of unoccupied volume in here now.

Where the belt and bracketry used to live. This opens a fair amount of space in the very nose of the truck.

The collected bits of the pump, reservoir, hoses and whatnot. All told I'd call it about 15 pounds. I even removed the cooling loop of pipe that ran in front of the radiator.

I took it for a spin with the pump removed and the truck felt exactly how I expected: sluggish and heavy at very low speeds, but anything above a jogging pace felt only slightly heavy to entirely normal.

I have a fresh reman steering box to replace it and gave it a sincere, no-BS effort to remove the old box, but the ball joint from the Pittman arm to the relay arm was more than my ball joint puller would shift. It went from looking like a letter U to a letter V. And the Pittman's connection to the splined output shaft of the steering gear seemed similarly firm, so I just put all the nuts back where I found them, snugged them down and will send the truck to a shop to do the actual swap.

Then we can find out if I get an actual economy boost from this.

The goal with the truck is to get it back to a condition where the wife won't mind driving it. It's kind of rusty and bedraggled looking right now, especially the bed where Toyota unwisely included a seam in the sides where rust can silently grow until it suddenly pops out like a xenomorph from Kane's chest. Hopefully within a year I'll have a like-new looking truck again that I can drive for another 30 years.

[edit]
Okay, the pictures didn't post at all. That bites.

All right. I'm eating up too much workday with this but I'll sort it out and make the pictures come up presently.

[edit again]
Daox fixed the images. Now I just need to find a shop. I have one in mind so probably by the weekend or next, the new box will be in.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 12-04-2017 at 12:14 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-04-2017), mazdamx640 (12-04-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Fixed the pics for you. Nice to breathe life into an old project.
elhigh (12-04-2017), Xist (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Novice

^^
Thanks for the assist on the pix. I tried to follow Arragonis' instructions on how to upload and then link pictures, but clearly I got it wrong or skipped a step.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Cool deal. I assume you are leaving the power steering pump and accessories off? Is your reman unit a manual steering box, or a power steering box? You might also consider a larger steering wheel if you need a bit more leverage for those low speed maneuvers.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Novice

The new-to-me box is a manual unit.

I remember how the manual trucks steered when I was a lot boy for a Toyota dealership; as I recall the steering wheels were the same size. Steering was a little stiff at parking lot speeds, but nothing too bad and nowhere near as bad as the awful manual steering Hyundai Excel I used to have, or my dad's Chevy Citation. I think the ratio should be a bit slower for greater leverage, and already the truck isn't too bad with the power box unpowered. It should be okay.

Reply  Post New Thread